Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 JK
363 Posts
Increased approach and departure angles, because, as evidenced by a leak, the JLR and JLR392 will get an "Xtreme package" with 315/70/R17 Load Range C KO2s, 1.5" of lift, and 4.56 gearing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Percentage of the Wrangler now made by Peugeot?

Average number of days spent in the dealer in the first year of ownership?

So it seems competition from Ford is a good thing. But why not go all the way to 35s?

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
Automakers have been reluctant to offer 35 inch tires from the factory. I’m sure there’s a host of fuel efficiency, safety, ride comfort, handling dynamics, manufacturing costs, regulatory and liability reasons for it.

My guess is 315 tires allow Ford, and apparently now Jeep too, to claim to offer “35-inch” tires from the factory, without actually offering true 35-inch tires.

Notice that TFL videos insist on calling Bronco Sasquatch’s tires “34.4 inches.” I’m sure this irritates Ford officials, but they are only stating a fact.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
BTW, competition can also have an undesired effect. Look at the rest of the auto industry: it is one indistinguishable jellybean after another.

Perhaps the reason Wrangler stands out so much today is precisely because it hasn’t had the pressure to change nearly as much over time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
All good points. I had to find an image of the Bronco with '35's' and saw that it indeed is 315/70-17.

I bristle a little myself with talk about competition improving an industry, where I have one primary competitor who just steals IP from me for their products. Subsequently I spent a lot of time on IP protection, encryption etc which add nothing to the final product.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Jeep will also offer a new optional 4.88:1 axle ratio for the Wrangler Rubicon later this year that combines with the six-speed manual transmission to deliver a 100:1 crawl ratio to maximize torque at the wheels for low-speed driving on the toughest terrain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If they do offer a 4.88 factory with baby 35s that would be a great option depending on the cost. I just switched from 315s to 35s this go around since i now have 17x9 rims. I am still running the stock 4.10 gears with the 6 speed and it can be a dog at times. I am regearing to 5.13 at the end of july. Now if jeep would offer a diesel 2d with a manual I would have a reason to get a new toy....

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
To start with 315 is just the metric conversion of 35”. Many manufactures only offer one or the other. If they offer both it is because one is an 8ply the other a 10 ply. There are very few true 35” tires out there even if they say they are 35x12.50. Fact is BFG already run smaller then everyone else’s 315s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get that and said it in jest. I run the Firestone destination mt2 which oddly in both 315 and 35 are 10ply (E) but the 37s are 8 (D). I went with the 315s initially on the stock wheel 17x7.5 because I couldn't find a local shop to mount 35s.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I get that and said it in jest. I run the Firestone destination mt2 which oddly in both 315 and 35 are 10ply (E) but the 37s are 8 (D). I went with the 315s initially on the stock wheel 17x7.5 because I couldn't find a local shop to mount 35s.
Tire size is a crap shoot now a days. You never know what you are gonna get and you can’t even trust the posted specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts