Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new (and proud) owner of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The Jeep has an automatic transmission. When I am accelerating from a dead stop (e.g., at a stop light), the Jeep kicks pretty hard when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (approximately 35-40mph).

When this happens, I noticed the RPMs rev to around 3500-4000 and then quickly back down. This happens about 75% of the time when the car automatically shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes the kick is small and other times it really bucks the entire Jeep.

My questions are, could there be something wrong with the transmission? Is this "normal?" Is this something that has happened to many Jeep owners (i.e., there could have been a recall about this)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2013 does it they did a software update made it a little better but still is not fixed. I am going to take it in again. It did it real hard earlier while cruise control was on, I was on the highway going up a slight hill. All sudden it slammed down and kicked my cruise control off.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The first thing to do is to check the level and condition of the trans. fluid (make sure it's not burnt). If it's where it should be and has normal color with no burned odor then there might be a software update where the dealer can "flash" the computer. You can also disconnect the battery for approx. 10 min. and that should allow the computer to learn your driving habits and the trans. might actually begin to shift easier due to a slight change in the shift points. It can't hurt trying that. If there's still a problem, it could be that the transmission modulator isn't functioning properly. How many miles? What you're describing to the extent that it's doing it isn't normal. There have been some faulty trans. modulators in 2012, but other possible issues have to be ruled out like I described.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts