Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on a problem I have with my Tj if anyone can point me in the right direction here. It's kinda hard to explain but basically the jeep teeters or dips with all the imperfections in the road. If i hit a spot of road thats real uneven or has dips in it the jeep just wants to dip down with it or sway with it like side to side body roll real bad. Straight roads it is fine it tracks straight it has a fresh alignment, just like crappy roads or bumps or whatever just want to throw the jeep around like body roll doesnt really affect it steering wise just you get thrown around on every little thing. On some big bumps I can watch like the front of the hood, if i hit a big dip in the road or bump on say the left side it will dip down on that side and then come back up and when it shoots back up it will counteract and throw the back right down kinda like teeter and then even itself. Just put a new rear 3/4 sway bar on thought it would tighten it up but really didnt do much. I have disconnects in the front but I dont want to start pitching more money into something that might not be the culprit. Has new coil springs on it too. Anybody have any experience with something like this that has a good idea what would cause this swaying, teetering, bouncing type issue?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are connected. shocks i bought for it were off of IRO but i think they said tj mine is actually an LJ but im not sure if they valve them different between the two or anything. maybe the extra weight they arent stiff enough? I have no clue they have maybe 5 inches uptravel in the front and only about 4 in the back im wondering if they are a bit to long and are running at a more compressed rate than what they should. Im not sure what a normal up travel measurement is around, I just figured i would run them but Im having this problem now and I dont know if its the shocks or the disco's or whatever else

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know exactly what you mean and have the same problem.....I've replaced shocks (Blistens), coil springs, front lower control arms, most all bushings, steering damper, had alignment checked twice......I don't have disco's so that can't be my problem

somebody has to have had this and found a fix, getting old just throwing money at it with still no help

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
Just a thought here but what psi are you running? Over inflated tires can cause this sort or reaction. 28-30 psi is about as high as you want to run.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mine was a perpetual teeter-totter in the back end. Even on seemingly smooth roads it would sometimes roll side to side. If there were bumps, it would act though it was being pulled to the side by the back tire. Once I replaced all the control arms (with factory type) this went away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not sure about the psi id have to check them its whatever the tire shop guys filled them up too. but i had this problem for a while before i had my lift and new coils and everything just now it seems a bit worse but the majority of everything is new?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
PSI makes a huge difference. I didn't believe it until I finally tried 28 psi. The improvement even just 3 or 4 pounds can make is noticeable.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Go measure the exact tire pressure in your tires & tell us what it and your exact tire size is. Tire jocks are normally clueless on the correct air pressure to run and many, if not most, severely overinflate tires. Next, what shocks are installed?

Rough unstable rides like you have described are nearly always the result of overinflated tires and/or the wrong shock absorbers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i checked the tire pressures, they were all 40psi. dropped them down to about 31psi to test the results, and it dramatically improved the ride. never thought about the pressure as a culprit as i figured they would of filled them to what they should be from the beginning. thanks for the tips guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts