Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5L 4Cyl engine and 5 Speed trans 4x4. I really love the little guy but he lacks a good bit of power. And not to mention fuel mileage stinks. I am running 31x10.50's, suspension is stock for right now. I am going to add a 2.5 inch lift later.
I have several questions,
1) Cold Air Intake, is it worth the upgrade, and can it be installed along with a snorkel.
2) Tornado air fan for the intake, anyone using it.
3) Converting the radiator over to an electric fan, have you done it and what was the increase in power and fuel economy.
4) electric water pump vrs manual running off the engine via fan belt. ever tried it and if so, how is that mod working out.

I want to free up as much power as possible or would I be better off to do an engine swap to a bigger engine. Could one go with the 4.0 and keep the same transmission. I am going to guess yes but if I go to a V8 a heavier trans would be needed. I would hope that a 4.0 could be dropped in with out much expense or mods.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The only way you're going to get what power there used to be back is to go back to stock size tires or regear to match the existing tires. All the engine mods you mentioned are placebo's.

If power and mpg could be increased with hang on's, Chrysler would have done it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All those "upgrades" are junk. They just downgrade your wallet. Throttle body's do nothing but whistle and cold air intakes get you nothing but dirt in your motor. A snorkel will do nil for performance wise as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also the electrical goodies just sap more power from the alternator when operating. The electric fan can be nice for on the fly deep water crossing so you don't shred your shroud and or radiator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so what about just doing an engine swap then, what would be needed to go with the 4.0 engine, I really want to lift the Jeep. Little tires on a lift look retarded.

·
Registered
507 Posts
ok so what about just doing an engine swap then, what would be needed to go with the 4.0 engine, I really want to lift the Jeep. Little tires on a lift look retarded.
It's way more work then it's worth. Just as labor intensive as going v-8. The mounts are in wrong locations making a lot of fab work for not much gain. If you really want a 4.0 get a 4.0 frame and move everything over.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Also it's all about your gearing. Even 4.0 owners need to regear the axles to make big tires work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts