Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, so I recently finished paying off my beloved 2010 jeep 2dr sport. I have chosen to hold off on beautifying until I paid it off so 've I know it's an expensive habit. with that being said, I need help! I want to lift it, looking to do a 3 to a 3.5 lift. I have done some hw, and initially wanted to do a 4in but dear Lord how much work needs to be done and basically have been recommended by absolutely everyone in the jeep world to not do that. so quick description on dozer (jeeps name). He is my daily driver, I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or crazy stunts, however every now and then a mudding would be great. I want to be able to drive smooth but also have the cosmetic look of a lifted jeep. I have looked into rock krawler, synergy, and teraflex. my budget is 3K, but again only looking to put quality stuff on him so I don't end up with a fat bill later on. with that being said I have looked at kits, but entirely way too confused on what it comes with and what I actually do need. so if anyone gives me a quick description on ALL the components I require even if I have to get different brands for each that's okay! help out the fellow jeep guppie!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
Welcome! What size tires do you have?

On a two door, you just need to lift enough to clear the tires at full flex. I run 37s on a 2.5 lift with flat Fenders. Flat fenders are great - give you extra clearance, make the Jeep look more lifted as it opens the wheel wells, but ZERO impact on driveline or steering like a suspension lift.

I run Rock Krawler X Factor with Rancho 7000 shocks. Add exhaust crossover, bumpstops and done. Programmer if you change tire size and/or gear ratio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! What size tires do you have?

On a two door, you just need to lift enough to clear the tires at full flex. I run 37s on a 2.5 lift with flat Fenders. Flat fenders are great - give you extra clearance, make the Jeep look more lifted as it opens the wheel wells, but ZERO impact on driveline or steering like a suspension lift.

I run Rock Krawler X Factor with Rancho 7000 shocks. Add exhaust crossover, bumpstops and done. Programmer if you change tire size and/or gear ratio.
I still have my baby tires on there, would you recommend this kit?https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-3-5-x-factor-system-lift-kit-w-shock-options

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
look into the Mopar 2" lift. Near everyone who installs it gets more than 2" and you will be able to fit 35s. Only thing you need with the kit is control arms(or geometry brackets). You can get the lift on amazon from Athens Jeep Dealership for 910 bucks and shipping is like 7 bucks.

As Mommy said, flat fenders are a great way to get some extra clearance. I run the 2" mopar with a 1" spacer up front and flat fenders and EASILY fit 35s and now i want 37s (i have a 4 door)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I still have my baby tires on there, would you recommend this kit?https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-3-5-x-factor-system-lift-kit-w-shock-options

Thats a good kit, it sounds like overkill for you though. You dont need all 8 control arms (really you are most likely fine with front lowers, especially if you stick to the 2.5" lift range). Also that really eats into your budget (if it is 3000). Tires and wheels will put you over. and as mommy said above, you REALLY should consider regearing ESPECIALLY since you have the 3.8l motor. Are you auto or manual? if auto, when you add tires it is gonna be terrible to drive without gearing. and i really do mean terrible. i have a newer auto (with 80 more HP than you and an extra gear) and it sucks to drive on 35s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the suggestions are awesome guys! however you guys are speaking to a NEWB, as I am reading and doing my hw on the subject I am still confused on terminology. for example yes I do have an automatic but so confused on regearing also cummins youu mention the kit is too much that is the response I'm looking for, buying to much or buying too little, if someone. an point me in the right direction or even just tell me what to get i don't mind taking orders haha. reality is I'm learning, and dozer has nothing but stock in it. tell me what to get or recommend what to do to make it look better than it's boring self. I will definitely be changing exteriors such as fenders I figured I'd start with a lift first.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
Will you be getting larger tires? Stock tires need zero lift, and would look funny lifted. A level kit is the most I would do with stock tires.

The lower you lift the better - especially on two doors (they are more finicky on driveline angles than four doors). You definitely don't need 3.5 on a two door with stock tires - remember the higher you lift, the more potential issues. At 3.5 your driveshaft will be on borrowed time, you may need to consider flipping the draglink for steering and on and on and on. Stay at 1.5 or 2.5.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definitely be getting bigger tires, with that what size would you recommend with a lift. if I do a 2.5 will I still get the "lift" look of course with changing fenders etc

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My 4 door, but you should get the idea. with flat flares and without. Really does make it look taller. This is with a 2" mopar lift. If i were you, i would look at something like the 2.5" teraflex lift without shocks. Its like 400 bucks. Then i would add in fox 2.0 shocks about 400 total, then throw in some lower control arms. Teraflex alpine arms are a great new choice out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 4 door, but you should get the idea. with flat flares and without. Really does make it look taller. This is with a 2" mopar lift. If i were you, i would look at something like the 2.5" teraflex lift without shocks. Its like 400 bucks. Then i would add in fox 2.0 shocks about 400 total, then throw in some lower control arms. Teraflex alpine arms are a great new choice out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cummins you're awesome this is exactly what i needed thanks!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
cummins you're awesome this is exactly what i needed thanks!!

Of course, no problem. This is the whole point of the forum! I will also add that 2 doors tend to look even more lifted than 4 doors due to the short wheel base.

If you are honest about your intentions and what you want to do with your jeep, people here will do a good job of helping you choose what is best for you. Heavy rock crawling and that original lift you posted might be the best option. Backwoods trails and mudding and forest roads you really dont need to spend 2k.

As for shocks, check out Fox, bilstein, and rancho 9000 (if you want adjustables).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's the thing I am not looking for a heavy rock crawling lift, this is my everyday car, mainly highway miles etc. I will probably do the weekend adventure every now and then to include backwoods trails only. with that if you recommend a 2.5 then that's what I'll get, however teraflex has many 2.5 kit options can you help me choose the right one and which site to preferably use? dozer is all about looks not for crazy expeditions, one day I'll afford a rock climber till then it's for the dream look. would you recommend getting 32s or 35s on tires?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've got a JKS JSpec 2.5" lift on my 2011 2 door, and I'm running Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 295/70R17 tires (measure exactly 33" mounted) on Quadratec Hardrock wheels (5.2" backspacing).

The lift is high quality, and pretty comprehensive. I did add adjustable front lower control arms, an adjustable rear track bar, and adjustable rear sway bar links, so my total spent on the lift was up around $1600 or so.

The tires I put on are very heavy. They ride well, do great on road and off, but due to the weight and the added circumference, the 3.8L with 3.73 gears (6 speed manual) is kind of a dog. I basically can't use 6th gear anymore unless I'm on completely flat ground or going downhill.

The few times I've had it offroad since installing the lift were not extremely challenging trails, but I found that in 1st gear and 4wl, I was still able to tackle some difficult stuff at a reasonable "crawl" speed.

I'm completely happy with everything on my setup except for the gearing, which I'll probably address in the next month or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just to specify dozer is a 2dr automatic 2010 sport with stock tires

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
that's the thing I am not looking for a heavy rock crawling lift, this is my everyday car, mainly highway miles etc. I will probably do the weekend adventure every now and then to include backwoods trails only. with that if you recommend a 2.5 then that's what I'll get, however teraflex has many 2.5 kit options can you help me choose the right one and which site to preferably use? dozer is all about looks not for crazy expeditions, one day I'll afford a rock climber till then it's for the dream look. would you recommend getting 32s or 35s on tires?

For the 2.5" lift i would suggest 35s. You can run 32s with no lift. for 33s i think you could get away with a simple leveling kit (teraflex makes one). It uses spacers front and rear. Nice thing about this, is that it adds a little height, takes away the factory rake, and retains the factory ride (since springs and shocks stay).

Something like these lifts i think are good options:

complete with shocks from AEV:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16502_4414_07.htm

Needs shocks, but you can pick whichever ones you want:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2512_07.htm

Mopar lift complete with shocks (i have the 2012 4 door version of this):
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1020_07.htm

This is by no means a comprehensive list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is great, thanks cummins. when I finally make my deliberation i will be sure to send you a message for opcheck before I purchase, lastly my biggest fear is who actually puts the lift kit on, I'm afraid the mom and pop mech shop will not do it correctly, would you suggest me going to a jeep dealership, and I definitely cannot do this myself nor do I have buddies who can, by far I'm the only person from my group of friends who knows how to do there own oil change.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
this is great, thanks cummins. when I finally make my deliberation i will be sure to send you a message for opcheck before I purchase, lastly my biggest fear is who actually puts the lift kit on, I'm afraid the mom and pop mech shop will not do it correctly, would you suggest me going to a jeep dealership, and I definitely cannot do this myself nor do I have buddies who can, by far I'm the only person from my group of friends who knows how to do there own oil change.

Where are you located? If you are in or around Northern CA (Sacramento) Ill make you a deal and help you install. If not, i would suggest googling 4wd shops in your area. There always seem to shops in every area that are capable. Now of course my first suggestion would be to do it yourself! its a great learning experience!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts