Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will door surrounds work with any frame or just the OEM frame. Bought a 2000 it came with a bestop frame but no surrounds top just velcro's around a bracket at the door. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
100,752 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Typically aftermarket tops are designed to work with the OEM door surrounds.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bestop is the OEM manufacturer. So odds are that the Bestop frame will work with Bestop, Mopar (OEM) or aftermarket surrounds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Will door surrounds work with any frame or just the OEM frame. Bought a 2000 it came with a bestop frame but no surrounds top just velcro's around a bracket at the door. Thanks
Depends on the top. Bestop is the OE softop supplier but they also make complete replacement tops with frames and door surrounds that differ from the Mopar softop.

Give Bestop a call or send an email. They'll help you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I have never seen such a rig. On factory and the Bestop tops I have seen, they have a door surround that mounts to the sport bar with two long screws.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada/door-surround-knob-jeep-wrangler-tj-unlimited

The surround has a slot in the vertical portion that the front edge of the side windows snap into. The window had a flexible piece that is a U shape to keep it locked in place with zipped up. The top over the doors has a similar piece that clips in a slot in the horizontal portion of the surround.

The Bestop tops I have experience with have Bestop stickers on the lower left corner of the rear window proclaiming they are Bestop. In addition there is a tab on the right rear side of the top stating it is a Bestop. Check the marking on the rear corners of the side window or the lower left corner of the rear window and see if there is a brand marking.

The only velcro on either Bestop top I have had (Replace-A-Top fabric and windows on factory frame and now the Trektop NX) on my TJ was on the flaps that cover the zippers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a bestop brand part #54609 it has a bracket that mounts to the A pillar where the bar bolts on if I knew how to post pictures I could show you what I’m talking about

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I found it! It is the Bestop Supertop and from the instructions it is not intended to be a top that one puts up and down frequently as the header uses bolts to attache the header bar to the windshield frame rather than the over center latches of the OEM frame. The top #54609 goes on totally different with a different frame than either the OEM or the Supertop NX. The Replace-A-Tops all use either the factory frame or the Supertop NX frame.

The top 54609 is about $150 less expensive than the least expensive Supertop NX but is also about $150 more expensive than the Trektop NX (sloped rear window top) which I have and think is a better top.

From the instructions, the top over the door has a flap that comes down over the bracket around the door opening and wraps back up to attache with the hook and loop (velcro). (They don't use the term Velcro in the instructions as that is a trademark name and can only be used if the material is actually made by the Velcro company.)

Is this a top that came with your Jeep or is it one that you just purchased? If it came with the Jeep, one issue is that the OEM seal strip on the side of the windshield frame was removed and a part that came with the top substituted. That part may or may not work with a Supertop NX or Trektop NX. If it is a top that you just purchased, if you still have all the packaging, I would see if you can possibly return the top.

Here are the instructions for the 54609 Supertop:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/46891.pdf

Here are the instruction for the 54720 Supertop NX:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/145707.pdf

These videos will show you the difference in the two tops and why you cannot use parts from one on the other. The OEM top is basically a Supertop NX with or without the Sunrider feature. The Supertop NX has the Sunrider feature and of course the Supertop does not.

Here is a video on the installation of the 54609 Supertop:

Here is a video on the installation of the 54720 Supertop NX:

Reactions: Holton345

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help the top came from the guy I bought the jeep from looks like I'll be getting a different one.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Actually it CAN be put up and down just as often as any other top....
You just leave the header bar in place and peel the top off of it...
This top has an advantage of not needing door surrounds

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I put a complete new top on my TJ last year after having it painted. The four year old Bestop Replace-A-Top fabric and windows were still in great shape and would probably have lasted at least another 4 years, or more. But the OEM factory frame was in bad shape, so I decided to replace the top. One benefit of that was I gained the Sunrider feature. I also went with the Trektop NX as it does not use the traditional frame. It does have side bars from the header bar to a connection on the door surround so you can flip the front section back (a fantastic feature in nice weather, and if a rain cloud pops up, you can close it in seconds and button it up in about another minute).

Instead of a frame the upper section (bikini top like panel) has loops to fasten it to the roll bar just in front of the speakers, and tension straps to fasten to the inside of the tub rail in the back. Remove the quarter windows and the rear window, flip the Sunrider back and the only cover is over the back seat. I don't miss the frame a bit. (The Bestop Trektop NX is also $300 less than the Supertop NX (full new frame). Another nice feature of the Trektop NX is no zipper going around a corner on the rear window. The top edge slides into a groove on the top and then the two sides have a straight zipper down the side.

Register with Quadratec as a Wrangler Forum member. They will then give you a discount on all purchases. On a top, that can be worth it. There may also be less expensive stores. Be careful of the way less expensive frameless tops. Many require the "original" top hardware in the TG bar and clips (not too big an issue) but they also require the original door surrounds. This obviously wouldn't work for you and didn't for me as I didn't have door surrounds configured for the flip back Sunrider feature. Read the fine detail. By the time you take a $400 top, purchase door surround and maybe TG bar, you are at the cost of the better Bestop. Bestop does offer a budget line called Pavement ends, but that has the same issue - it requires some hardware from the original top.

The Bestop Trektop NX and Supertop NX is complete and designed to go on a bare tub.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Actually it CAN be put up and down just as often as any other top....
You just leave the header bar in place and peel the top off of it...
This top has an advantage of not needing door surrounds

That is a bit of a hassle and obviously no Sunrider feature.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Correct on no sunrider but it's no problem at all to remove from the header and replace... takes a few seconds... i've done it many many times on my yj super top.... it MIGHT take 30 seconds more to put down my yj super top than my factory tj top as long as I leave the tj door surrounds on... if I pull them The supertop is faster.... it works axactly the same as the tj supertop

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had a Supertop for my 98 Wrangler. Worst-Design-Ever! The Supertop is an improvement for YJ owners but for the TJ-YUK! I got lucky and a plastic piece broke off on the bow assembly and I was able to return the top. Watching that Supertop installation video brought back some bad memories. I'm going to have nightmares for a week!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts