Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a Jeep wrangler 4 door unlimited sport or sahara auto transmission. I am looking for buy a used model from 2010 to 2015..since its my first jeep i have some questions for the experienced folks here

1. What big expense should i expect in jeep around 30k to 50k miles.?
2. Does the sport feel different while driving than the sahara? or its only the tech packages that makes the difference?
3. If the jeep has any mods such as aftermarket head lights or tires, is it a good idea to get any warranty on them?
4. Does soft top get very loud inside the jeep ? i live in washington DC and have a 3 yr old son that i will be carrying around in this jeep.
5. any special groups in VA that can help me get connected to other jeep owners around me?
6. is their a specific year/model new comers should stay away from?

and many more questions...but i will keep it short this time...:)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I am planning to purchase a Jeep wrangler 4 door unlimited sport or sahara auto transmission. I am looking for buy a used model from 2010 to 2015..since its my first jeep i have some questions for the experienced folks here 1. What big expense should i expect in jeep around 30k to 50k miles.? 2. Does the sport feel different while driving than the sahara? or its only the tech packages that makes the difference? 3. If the jeep has any mods such as aftermarket head lights or tires, is it a good idea to get any warranty on them? 4. Does soft top get very loud inside the jeep ? i live in washington DC and have a 3 yr old son that i will be carrying around in this jeep. 5. any special groups in VA that can help me get connected to other jeep owners around me? 6. is their a specific year/model new comers should stay away from? and many more questions...but i will keep it short this time...:)
1. Your desire to modify.
2. The Sahara has improved interior and convenience option, the only real difference would be 18" wheels and maybe shocks.
3. Depends on what they are and what your plans and abilities are.
4. Soft tops area bit louder than hard tops, but hard tops are louder than regular vehicles.
5. I don't know about your specific area. If you want to "jeep" finding a local club is invaluable.
6. 2012 and newer has a significantly better engine and transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I am planning to purchase a Jeep wrangler 4 door unlimited sport or sahara auto transmission. I am looking for buy a used model from 2010 to 2015..since its my first jeep i have some questions for the experienced folks here

1. What big expense should i expect in jeep around 30k to 50k miles.?
2. Does the sport feel different while driving than the sahara? or its only the tech packages that makes the difference?
3. If the jeep has any mods such as aftermarket head lights or tires, is it a good idea to get any warranty on them?
4. Does soft top get very loud inside the jeep ? i live in washington DC and have a 3 yr old son that i will be carrying around in this jeep.
5. any special groups in VA that can help me get connected to other jeep owners around me?
6. is their a specific year/model new comers should stay away from?

and many more questions...but i will keep it short this time...:)
First off welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you.

Question for you... how long do plan on keeping the Jeep? Based on that answer, I would look into a maxcare lifetime warranty for $2500. To qualify your preowned jeep would have to be within 4 years old and less than 48k miles.

On the forum you will find state/city specific groups so you can connect with others in your area. Also, the app meetup is a great source. You will find numerous groups and specific meet and greets for your area.

As far as year model and potential problems. I normally stay away from first Model years with engine changes, so for me so I went 2013 preowned. You can also look on the website carcomplaints.com and see what owners have reported for Jeep and any other vehicle for any specific year. If my memory serves me correctly in 2012 there were a subgroup of jeeps that had problems with cylinder heads. Don't quote me on that.

I would say 2013 and up. The added HP is nice and in '13 the seats were redesigned and are more comfortable IMO.

How do you plan to use your Jeep? If there is any possibility that you may get into offroading and tackling more than just overland type stuff I would spend the extra money now and get a rubicon for sure, the difference in price is nothing compared to upgrading axle, gears, lockers down the road. The D44 in the front is stronger than the D30 on the sport and sahara.

I was in your shoes 1yr ago and bought a '13 Sahara. Had I known then what I know now I would have either a rubicon or rubicon hard rock in my garage.

Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Whatever you decide make sure you wave!

·
Retired Moderator
100,448 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Agree with the above Posts!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you.
Thank you :)

Question for you... how long do plan on keeping the Jeep? Based on that answer, I would look into a maxcare lifetime warranty for $2500. To qualify your preowned jeep would have to be within 4 years old and less than 48k miles.
I plan to keep his for 3-4 years...

As far as year model and potential problems. I normally stay away from first Model years with engine changes, so for me so I went 2013 preowned. You can also look on the website carcomplaints.com and see what owners have reported for Jeep and any other vehicle for any specific year. If my memory serves me correctly in 2012 there were a subgroup of jeeps that had problems with cylinder heads. Don't quote me on that.

I would say 2013 and up. The added HP is nice and in '13 the seats were redesigned and are more comfortable IMO.
Yes i think i can narrow down the search based on these inputs from you...

How do you plan to use your Jeep? If there is any possibility that you may get into offroading and tackling more than just overland type stuff I would spend the extra money now and get a rubicon for sure, the difference in price is nothing compared to upgrading axle, gears, lockers down the road. The D44 in the front is stronger than the D30 on the sport and sahara.
I plan to use it mostly for daily work commute which is 1 mile :) and also plan to use it over the weekends on offroad trails in and around the Washington DC metro area(plus the winter snow drives)...but i won't say its a lot of offroading or high terrain drives..
How much does a D30? or a D44? make the difference in regular drive vs terrain drives?
Also is it D30 on all axles ?

I was in your shoes 1yr ago and bought a '13 Sahara. Had I known then what I know now I would have either a rubicon or rubicon hard rock in my garage.
haha...let me know if you want to sell you sahara :D

Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Whatever you decide make sure you wave!
Thanks a lot for all the information

·
Registered
88 Posts
check out novajeepers.com

A great site that has forums about mostly anything jeep related including dates that they go wheeling. Registration is free, membership is 20 I believe, but includes member only wheeling trips.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I plan to use it mostly for daily work commute which is 1 mile :) and also plan to use it over the weekends on offroad trails in and around the Washington DC metro area(plus the winter snow drives)...but i won't say its a lot of offroading or high terrain drives..
How much does a D30? or a D44? make the difference in regular drive vs terrain drives?
Also is it D30 on all axles ?

haha...let me know if you want to sell you sahara :D
Full Disclosure: My Jeep is more of a mall crawler and Beach/Sand buggy. It's been on my buddies ranch through some minor trails he created so my experience with offroading is less than desired. However, I feel that over the last year spending a lot of time on the forum learning from fellow educated members I can offer you my opinion, but, you should conduct your own research.

The easy question first...Sport and Sahara models come with D30 up front and D44 in the rear. The Sahara is offered with Limited Slip Differential vs the Rubicon with Lockers front and rear. Sports offer an open differential. I will not open up the hornets nest of which is better, but, from people that have LSD they say it works well in the snow and I can confirm it does work well on slippery surfaces.

To be honest, a stock sport or sahara is very capable of conquering the vast majority of trails, really it's more about the indian and less about the arrow so to speak. When off the pavement and on dirt it's important to pick your lines effectively. Just because you have the best equipment doesn't mean you can accomplish the equiv of putting your rig on Autopilot.

If you plan to doll up your rig with larger tires it's better to have 3.73 gears than 3.21's.

Since you are buying preowned I would log onto Jeep.com and input the VIN and get the actual Build Sheet for the vehicle you are looking at. It's free, If you click on my build thread in the first 20 posts you will see instructions how to do so. If you are buying from a non jeep dealer they will 95% not know. I did not know what i had and lucked into the 3.73's. However if it has the max tow package I believe you are set with the gears.

Lastly, as much as i would love a Rubi or HR, truth be told I will prob never be in a position to take the full advantage of such. At this point in the game, I am in so deep with my rig if I sold it, it would be the equivalent of what people experienced in when selling their houses in 2008-2010, I would be under water. Heck, I have a lifetime warranty, so this bad boy is staying in the family.

Post some pics of what your looking at, as I'm sure other members can give you their take....

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Looks good. I did a search within 200 miles of Virginia Beach and Manahawkin Chrysler Dodge Jeep, NJ just listed a 2013 Sahara for $27,972 asking, so you can probably get it for max 27k I would assume. CarMax prices are firm so this might be a better deal. There are no additional pics of the one for the dealership bc I assume it's a recent trade. Anyway just thought I would through it out there, might be worth a look. Some of us had to travel many miles to find the right jeep and deal. Mine was 2hr away and was worth my time, took me 2 months to find mine rig. I will keep my eye out for you. I always search Jeep's and other vehicles and what's available. I bought 2 preowned vehicles that had to be shipped to me and it still came out cheaper then local. All over the phone as well.

Anyway, good luck, the hardest part is waiting for that one Jeep that catches your eye and is at the right price.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Really great feedback from Beeshka that I would nod vigorously in agreement on. From what you've said your intent is, you would do well with either a Sport or Sahara. My only definite advice would be to go 2012 and onward. Avoiding the 2012 build range with the #2 cylinder head issue would also be a plus unless you get the warranty for that specific issue. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really great feedback from Beeshka that I would nod vigorously in agreement on. From what you've said your intent is, you would do well with either a Sport or Sahara. My only definite advice would be to go 2012 and onward. Avoiding the 2012 build range with the #2 cylinder head issue would also be a plus unless you get the warranty for that specific issue. Good luck in your search
Thanks thats very much helpful

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good. I did a search within 200 miles of Virginia Beach and Manahawkin Chrysler Dodge Jeep, NJ just listed a 2013 Sahara for $27,972 asking, so you can probably get it for max 27k I would assume. CarMax prices are firm so this might be a better deal. There are no additional pics of the one for the dealership bc I assume it's a recent trade. Anyway just thought I would through it out there, might be worth a look. Some of us had to travel many miles to find the right jeep and deal. Mine was 2hr away and was worth my time, took me 2 months to find mine rig. I will keep my eye out for you. I always search Jeep's and other vehicles and what's available. I bought 2 preowned vehicles that had to be shipped to me and it still came out cheaper then local. All over the phone as well.

Anyway, good luck, the hardest part is waiting for that one Jeep that catches your eye and is at the right price.
yes indeed...thats the hardest part to wait for one that is right for you...always compromised on other cars but on this one i am going to try my hardest to find a right one. Thanks once again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
what do you guys think about this one
Cars for Sale: 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4WD Unlimited Sport in Falls Church, VA 22044: Sport Utility Details - 420369465 - Autotrader

i know you told me to stay away from 2012 model if it had '#2 cylinder head issue' but it seems low mileage.

i read somewhere too that the 2013 had more HP, but this seems to have the same too
Engine
Engine Type3.6L Gas V6
Horsepower285 @ 6400 rpm
Torque (lb-ft)260 @ 4800 rpm
Man I would pass. Looks rough. Front bumper smashed. Dirty inside. Check engine light.....

Patience my friend....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts