Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 Jeep YJ 6 cylinder 4.2 I just installed brand new distributor new coil and a new ignition control module still not getting any fire at the spark plugs and yes I am new to this form is there anyone out there that has any suggestions I'm what I should do next thank you

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the 4.2 but I assume that you replaced the parts because of the same problem and are trying for an alternative approach rather than throwing more parts at it.

Confirm that you have battery voltage and a good ground connection at the ECM (if you don't have a wiring diagram find one).

·
Super Moderator
10,506 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dingus70,

Since you're new to the forum, we don't know your mechanical experience.
I'll start with the basics. The crankshaft turns twice for a single turn of the camshaft, so it's real easy to install a distributor 180* out.

To find #1 Top Dead Center, remove the #1 spark plug and put a piece of tissue paper in the hole. With the coil wire unhooked, crank the engine bit by bit. When the tissue pops out, you're on the #1 compression stroke. Turn the engine over by hand (it's way easier if all the spark plugs are out) until the timing marks align. The rotor should be pointing to #1 cylinder on the distributor.
If that's what you have, then the engine should start. If it doesn't start, post again for more suggestions.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Nope, Old school timing, computer mainly does emissions and idle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts