Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

Just signed up today and am very happy to be here. I've had my jeep for over a week now and am impatiently looking to upgrade the wheel and tires on my baby asap! I have a 2012 Wrangler (2dr) and came across this image on Google. Was hoping someone can help let me know the wheel and tire specs needed to get the exact same look. I know the wheels are Rockstar XD and the tires are Nitto.

Also, not sure if if this JK has a lift kit on it :doh:

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
those look like 20 inch rock stars..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a 4 inch lift or so with at least 18 inch wheels.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
why are 20s frowned upon:surrender:
Unless you've got huge tires (37"+), there's not really enough sidewall to air down for maximum traction and they're more likely to suffer trail damage on account of being much closer to the ground and less set back into the tire.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Unless you've got huge tires (37"+), there's not really enough sidewall to air down for maximum traction and they're more likely to suffer trail damage on account of being much closer to the ground and less set back into the tire.
Should have said not common or recommended.
Oh, and both the wheels and the tires are generally going to be more expensive for 20" wheels of course. Price out a set of 33" tires plus 20" wheels and compare it to a comparable set of 33" tires and 15" wheels, the 20" set up is generally going to be significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No one asked if the Jeep was going to be a pavement princess or a trail rig.

20" wheels are fine if the Jeep spends its life on the road. Sure it costs more for the wheels and rubber but maybe that is the look he likes.

Just my .02

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
No one asked if the Jeep was going to be a pavement princess or a trail rig.
No doubt, but based on the OP's post it was reasonable to assume the OP isn't terribly educated on the topic and might find related information helpful. And a subsequent poster did indeed ask:

why are 20s frowned upon:surrender:
So it seems to me that the answers are relevant, fair, and within the spirit of the thread.

20" wheels are fine if the Jeep spends its life on the road. Sure it costs more for the wheels and rubber but maybe that is the look he likes.
Also true, and nobody said it wouldn't be fine on-road. It'd be okay offroad too, though not optimal. And again, I think it's fair based on the OP's post to think the OP might want to know about cost and custom with regard to the wheel/tire choices that interest him.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Might look into a 4:10 or lower axle gearing if you really want to run big tires and wheels, if you don't care about slow acceleration or poor MPG it may not matter.

My Jk with 4:10 axle gears went down to 12 MPG from 22 when I switched to 35" tires.

I opted to go back to the stock Rubicon BFG's rather than gear my Jeep any lower.
I estimate I used about $2,000 more fuel in a year with the 35" tires than I do with the 32.5" tires.

Not trying to rain on your new JK parade, oversized tires and wheels do look great on JK's, with the right gearing they handle great too.

Just be prepared for the potential cost of re-gearing and additional fuel before you pull the trigger on expensive tires and wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Might look into a 4:10 or lower axle gearing if you really want to run big tires and wheels, if you don't care about slow acceleration or poor MPG it may not matter.

My Jk with 4:10 axle gears went down to 12 MPG from 22 when I switched to 35" tires.

I opted to go back to the stock Rubicon BFG's rather than gear my Jeep any lower.
I estimate I used about $2,000 more fuel in a year with the 35" tires than I do with the 32.5" tires.

Not trying to rain on your new JK parade, oversized tires and wheels do look great on JK's, with the right gearing they handle great too.

Just be prepared for the potential cost of re-gearing and additional fuel before you pull the trigger on expensive tires and wheels.
I run 35s with 3.73s and though I will eventually upgrade to 5.13s and 37s... its not because i am unhappy with the performance. Sure its a bit of a dog but i've driven a JKU with 4.10s and 35s as well as a JKU with 4.88s and 35s and I would say the difference is nominal. The thing isn't suddenly a drag strip beast.... If you have a manual then it won't make a big difference, 5th gear will just be useless. If you have an automatic then your just gonna have to get used to turning the o/d off... There have been so many threads to this topic i'm sure you can find your answer.

As to MPG i didn't mind much coming from driving a dodge ram quad cab that got 13 to the gallon on a good day...

I would agree with the above statement that 20's are not "optimal" for off-roading but if its minimal trail riding that interest you (level 1 or 2 trails) I would say you'd be fine with your 20s if that is the look your going for. personally i prefer the more "military" look a smaller rim gives but that just my opinion... and thats all it is... an opinion!!!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts