Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all jeeper, i need some help.

well i went on vacation with my family for about ten days. i let my oh so trust worthy brother the jeep so he could get to and from work. :facepalm:
as i was away i get a phone call that my baby would not shit out of first. i dont know how it happen or what it sounded like when it stoped. but i do not think that it is the trans because i never had a problem be for, no sliping or anything. wich leads me to beleive that it could be somthing eletrical. how could i go about trouble shooting it on my own??
(92 wrangler 4.0 auto trans btw)
im 18 and dont really have the money for a new or rebuilding a trans
im pretty good at mechanical stuf but still hopeing its an easy fix
hope to hear from some people thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
First thing to do is ask your brother how he intends to repair it.........
Hopefully its just low on fluid but you probably can't be that lucky. It might be in the valve body or clogged internal filter. Don't know much about chrysler trans(I am assuming its one) but you may be able to get to it by dropping the pan.
Check any wires for connection/ breakage , linkage, kickdown switch etc.
Maybe talk to a trans guy and see what he says....some will actually give you some free advice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As a tranny guy, 1st is it the stock transmission. If yes then check the fluid level and color should not stink, and should still be red. if its full then you need to crawl underneath and take a look, look for anything that doesnt look right. if you dont see anything then you will need to drop the pan, if the problem is inside then something broke and you should see something in the pan. there will be a round magnet and it will be covered with fuzzy's(fine metal shavings) this is normal, but if you see anything that is big enough to pick up then that is not.. that trans is a great unit and when it has issues it normally gives you plenty of warning.. let us know what you find..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to a couple of guys and some said it could be electric sence it had no warning, that's for the advice, ill drop it tomorrow and see what's up.

Also I read that if I remove the tcu I can manually shift it and tell if its eletrical or not. I seached and searched on line but can't find where its located or even if I have one. Is that possable? Do I even have one cause I couldn't even find the part for mine.

Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ItisWell I droped the pan and the fluid came out as a dark brown color, wich started to get me worried. Took it completly off and found a hand full of metal.

Needless to say I need a rebuild. I found a guy who said he qouted me 750 and I told him ill take it out and put it in and he said 600, is that a good price. Any one lnow of better in miami of south florida area??

Thanks again :wavey:

·
Registered
223 Posts
well i know that it costs around $150-$200 for normal parts(converter,clutches,filter,gasket/seal/rubber kit) not counting hard parts (stuff that broke)..
you also need to flush the cooler lines and cooler, some just blow air through it, i like running a mineral spirit through it (at the shop we run fluid for 15 mins or so)and then blow it out.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That seems to be a fair price for a rebuild...

·
Registered
879 Posts
so has your brother confessed to what caused it or offered anything toward the repairs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said he was just driving down the road and it made a horrid noise and then wouldn't shit into 2nd after that. He said he would go half but I don't think it was his fault so I'm ganna pay for it. After all she is 20 years old. But i. Would of exspected some warning don't you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts