Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 97 4.0L Automatic. When I turn the key it just clicks on time and then nothing. It doesn't do it every time so I'm having a hard time diagnosing the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance I'm new to all this so don't be too hard on me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If your connections are clean and tight then its time for a new battery

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good tip on battery terminals. Also, since you have an auto tranny, try pushing the gear shift deeper into park or forward toward engine. See if it fires up. If not, try shifting into N to see if it starts. If this seems to always work, it's either your gear shift adjustment or park position safety switch. I chased this problem for weeks on my 97. Bought a new switch and it turns out it was just the shift cable adjustment. It only has to be off a little to give you intermittent start problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took both terminals off and cleaned them really well and accompanied the cleaning with an anti-corrosion spray. It has started right up every time and even stronger than before. I must say the guys at Autozone were sure it was the starter...I'm glad I put my faith in the owners. Thank you guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts