Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not trying to offend anyone but; I drive a 1998 Jeep Wrangler with a 4” lift as my personal vehicle and at work I drive a 4 door 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I love my 98 even thou it has problems, but I can’t stand the 2010 it seems slow, sluggish, and the ride is worse than my lifted one. Why did they mess with a good thing?

·
Registered
39,143 Posts
I can't say anything about the 4 door, but my 2 door has no sluggish feel to it in comparison to my aunts 94. :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it’s just the 4 door then, it feels like I’m driving a suburban. The wheel base is longer and it weighs more. I don’t know what makes it different from a SUV.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
So I have to ask...is this considered a JK bashing thread if the "basher" owns both a TJ and a JK? lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
s3nt3nc3d said:
So I have to ask...is this considered a JK bashing thread if the "basher" owns both a TJ and a JK? lol
Lol, I didn't think it was a bash thread, my comment was to help distinguish it from a suv :)

I do have to ask what gears are in each of the op's Jeeps? I know the JKU with 3.21 and 35s felt like a slug, but with 4.88 and 35s it feels good.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Take it off road, you will like it then. The long wheelbase is nice to have on the trail
That was my thought. The wheelers that come where I live pretty much all run stretched wheelbase. Short wheelbase doesn't do as well on the rocks apparently.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That was my thought. The wheelers that come where I live pretty much all run stretched wheelbase. Short wheelbase doesn't do as well on the rocks apparently.
It depends on what you're doing on "the rocks."

If you're playing in rock gardens, you need breakover, approach and departure angle. The longer Jeeps suffer there until you're on 40's.

If you're doing steep rock walls/ledges, the longer wheelbase excels there.

Optimum wheelbase is a function of what you do and what size tire you run. I'm at about 96" on 35's and love it in the big rocks and tight trails. I love steep climbs and have built my suspension to perform well in those situations, despite my slightly-shorter-than-ideal wheelbase. At 100", I'd be comfortable on 35's and steep climbs. But, it would take a lot more money and work to move the axle back 4" the way I want to do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I test drove a 2011 sport a year ago. It had a much better ride than my 04 sport. The 11 had a soft top it was quieter on the highway than my hardtop! I haven't had a chance to drive a jk with the new engine, but c&d said it shaved off more than 2 seconds off its 0-60 time and gets a little better mpg. I love my tj, but the jks are in a different league in some areas. JMO!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It depends on what you're doing on "the rocks."

If you're playing in rock gardens, you need breakover, approach and departure angle. The longer Jeeps suffer there until you're on 40's.

If you're doing steep rock walls/ledges, the longer wheelbase excels there.

Optimum wheelbase is a function of what you do and what size tire you run. I'm at about 96" on 35's and love it in the big rocks and tight trails. I love steep climbs and have built my suspension to perform well in those situations, despite my slightly-shorter-than-ideal wheelbase. At 100", I'd be comfortable on 35's and steep climbs. But, it would take a lot more money and work to move the axle back 4" the way I want to do it.

This is the kind of crawling they do here, this video was taken about a mile from my house:

Big Tex crawls Green Mamba Extension - YouTube

·
Registered
464 Posts
Reminder to all that most work vehicles are driven like a "Rental". Hence the crappy performance.

Driving Definitions =
Stolen: drive slow because of cops
Rented: 30+ over the speed limit, jackrabbit starts and screeching stops :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts