Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17, and I've got a 2001 silver dodge ram 1500, and I love it because it's reliable, and I'm nearly positive I won't die if I get in a wreck. But I hate the gas mileage.

My grandmother has asked me to fix up her 97 red jeep wrangler to sell for her. It wasn't in the best of shape, but I like it because it's red, a manual, and a jeep of course. But that jeep has been beat to hell and back. On the plus side, it has freshly rebuilt engine in it!

Obviously you guys are going to be a little bias towards the jeep, but try to give me your honest opinion on what i should do.

·
Premium Member
2011 JKU Sahara 2.5” AEV lift with geo brackets steering stabilizer Warn winch & K&N cool air intake
1,772 Posts
Go with the Jeep. You'll always wish you would have if you keep the dodge instead. I bought my wife a dodge dakota 10 years ago and wanted a Jeep then. Just got one finally in August. Now trying to talk the wife into getting one for herself :)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
You'll get the same or worse gas mileage in the jeep. I'd get the jeep though. There is a certain feeling you get knowing you own a jeep that can't be described

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I'd sell the ram and the jeep then buy a jeep that hasn't gone throught he beating you said your 97 has.. thats what i would do :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'd sell the ram and the jeep then buy a jeep that hasn't gone throught he beating you said your 97 has.. thats what i would do :)
^^^Sage business advice.

Will the top and doors come off your Ram? Try it in your grandmother's Jeep. You'll never go back. :punk:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 and a 2005 Wrangler.

If I had to choose one, the Wrangler would be gone in a heartbeat. The pickup is 500% more versatile than the Wrangler. You'll be moving out on your own soon. Try fitting a mattress inside your Wrangler. Any decent trailer will exceed the Wrangler's tow capacity. And at least with your pickup you already have a good idea of it's reliability. Most importantly, for a teenager, even a shortbed pickup has a greatly superior fornication quotient for average sized humans.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Your asking the wrong place for this opinion... my votes for the jeep.. chicks dig jeeps

·
Registered
661 Posts
or see if you can buy it from her... 2 cars arent all that bad to insure..

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
I don't need a pickup truck. I got friends with pickup trucks. And they call me when they get stuck in the mud and need to be pulled out. So if I need a mattress moved, I just call them.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 and a 2005 Wrangler.

If I had to choose one, the Wrangler would be gone in a heartbeat. The pickup is 500% more versatile than the Wrangler. You'll be moving out on your own soon. Try fitting a mattress inside your Wrangler. Any decent trailer will exceed the Wrangler's tow capacity. And at least with your pickup you already have a good idea of it's reliability. Most importantly, for a teenager, even a shortbed pickup has a greatly superior fornication quotient for average sized humans.
Your last statement, is true:thumb:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
how bad could of your grandmother beat up that jeep????

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I have a 97 ram 2500 and a 98 TJ, I love them both dearly, but if I only had to choose 1 it would probably be the ram.

Although im hoping to pick up a rubicon this summer and then it would be a much closer toss up.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just my opinion...
I'd choose the jeep.
You're 17...which means that unless your mommy and daddy plan to suckle you for the rest of your life, you are standing at the edge of a decade of being broke. Honestly, that's not a bad thing...arguably, it could be the best thing anyone goes through, cuz if you do it right, you learn a LOT.
there is nothing on a 97 jeep thatyou cannot learn to fix.....an 01 ram will have more systems that will require more equipment than can fit in a tool box. Not impossible...just less likely.
Whatever you choose...will probably be gone in the next 2-3 years and you'll be into fast cars or fancy cars or soccer-mom cars...evolution happens. (to most)
Between now and then you can learn a lot about automotive maintenance that will apply to any future vehicle.
Don't sweat the ability to haul stuff....I spent decades being the "friend with a truck" that everyone calls when they need something done. The ossasions where I had something in the bed were vastly out numbered by the time spent with loose crap just rattling around back there (or blowing out).
As for "social accommodation"...well....that's why they make blankets. And at 17, I have a hunch your imagination is far more encompassing that a truck bed.
Whichever option you select....enjoy. (that was referring to the question about vehicles)

:)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think it depends on your needs. If you for any reason tow a lot or make a lot of long trips the obvious choice is the dodge. If you want something thats fun and can go a lot more places take the jeep. Depends on your lifestyle really.

·
Registered
581 Posts
And at 17, I have a hunch your imagination is far more encompassing that a truck bed.
Whichever option you select....enjoy. (that was referring to the question about vehicles)

:)
From a Texan, I interpret "far more encompassing" to include a horse trailer and a step stool. ;)

LOL, sorry.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you're a non-Texan, I understand your need for a step-stool.

Lol. Hehehe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts