Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work the other day, jeep is running hot. Around 235 or so, go up the hill to work, and its spikes into the red. I pulled in, let it cool down, and the fluid levels were fine all around. Drove it home, though I didn't want to, and the same scenario, ran hot all the way home. Got close to my house and there's a small grade hill near it and it immediately spiked again. I drained the system, not a flush, but just drained and it seemed fairly clear, about a year ago it was flushed and new radiator put in. I put new 195 thermostat in, still running hot. Fan is running, upper hose is extremely hot and lower hose has no temp at all? The heater worked a month ago, and now is not working. I don't want to trade it in, so help

·
Registered
923 Posts
Prob water pump, but check the radiator cap

for the past week my Jeep was floating just above 210 and when I hit a hill or hit 3k rpm the temp would spike to just below the red.

inspected my radiator cap last night and the bottom part of the cap was uneven like one side of the spring was weak... also coolant was low

changed my cap last night and it runs and stays at 210 no matter how hard I hit the gas now, cost me 4.95 for the cap and got some coolant. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks guys. I appreciate the help, I figured it was the water pump, i replaced the cap, cleaned it, roughly flushed it ( water hose pressure), and put a new thermostat. My mechanic suggested the same thing. Just wanted to get a few opinions. Prost! and Cheers! It's Friday

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue, though I've replaced the thermostat, water pump, put new coolant in, and whenever I'm on the highway for longer than 30 minutes at 70mph it starts overheating. I slow down to 60 and it drops for a second then pegs the needle. Can the cap really be the cause?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you guys were right, replaced the water pump and fan clutch, and the beast is ready to see 300,000, thermostat is stuck open, so I guess I have to put a new one in, but at this point, it's child's play, I'll wait until it gets too cold to stand it...... Now I can spend the money I saved on a new car, and dump it into my old reliable buddy!

·
Registered
131 Posts
rhilliard23 said:
Well, you guys were right, replaced the water pump and fan clutch, and the beast is ready to see 300,000, thermostat is stuck open, so I guess I have to put a new one in, but at this point, it's child's play, I'll wait until it gets too cold to stand it...... Now I can spend the money I saved on a new car, and dump it into my old reliable buddy!
Sweet what are you going to get?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I'm having the same issue, though I've replaced the thermostat, water pump, put new coolant in, and whenever I'm on the highway for longer than 30 minutes at 70mph it starts overheating. I slow down to 60 and it drops for a second then pegs the needle. Can the cap really be the cause?
If it cools down at lower speeds, and just overheats at freeway speeds it's most likely the fan clutch. With the engine cold, (and off) you should be able to spin the fan blades by hand with virtually no resistance. After the engine warms to operating temp, shut it off and try spinning the fan by hand. If it still spins without resistance, replace the fan clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts