Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing all of the people driving Jeeps these days, especially with the new JL's has got me thinking.

It seems like Jeeps are becoming more and more popular.

Does anyone think that this new infatuation with Jeeps (by people who might not have bought one in the past) will cause an increase in the resale price of used JKs? Or has it already done that? I haven't looked at used Jeep prices in years, so not sure, but just wondering if anyone has sold their used JK for a higher price than years past.

I almost wonder if I should go ahead and sell my 2015 JKU now if I might do it in the next few years anyhow. Maybe get a good price before the popularity "bubble" bursts.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The resale value of the Wrangler will always be higher than other vehicles for as long as FCA doesn't need to offer rebates to move the inventory. When a vehicle has a large rebate on it it's worth invoice minus that rebate as soon as it rolls over the curb. First year depreciation will always be greater than any other year but because the last incentive that existed on Wrangler was a low rate finance option 10-12 years ago and no rebates ever, they are going to hold a better resale compared to other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the popularity of Wranglers in the last couple of years is going to push the resale prices even higher. kind of like a bubble.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It depends on the JL sales numbers, so far looks good but still below 18 when both models where sold. Also vehicles with a lot of "new technology" and hybrid power depreciates faster - its difficult to predict how JL will depreciate, imo TJ,JK resale is holding merely because of their simplicity to fix and availability of parts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd say that values are down right now. Why? FCA made a bazillion 18's in both JK and JL models. I drive by my local Jeep dealer every day on my way home and they've got an orange JLU out front right now with big stickers on the side saying $6111 off! When I bought my JKU in 14, I looked for 6 months and did not find a used one up to 2 years old any cheaper than what I ended up paying ordering it new.

Depends what they do going forward. The good news is that if you want a used Wrangler that's never been offroad, there's going to be a ton of them.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Your JKU will never be worth more than it is today no matter how popular they become. If you are going to sell it, then do it. They do hold value better than most but they still go down. I have to tell myself that.

Reactions: terpsmandan

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
There will always be two main types of people that buy Wranglers IMHO:

1) People with a long history and an attachment to them due to having owned a CJ, YJ, military Jeep, etc. I'm in that group, having grown up in the 60's and being drug around on a car hood in the snow by a rope from my uncle's old Willys. I bought my first CJ7 right out of high school, and my current JK is my 7th Jeep vehicle.

2) Those who are trendy, into looks and "the lifestyle" that they think a Jeep projects.

There have and likely always will be small bubbles regarding resale, but because I don't see either of the 2 groups mentioned completely going away, I think Wranglers will continue to hold their value.

That is unless A) FCA sells out and some new conglomerate neuters the Wrangler, or B) Trendy, narcissistic people with money die off. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Seeing all of the people driving Jeeps these days, especially with the new JL's has got me thinking.

It seems like Jeeps are becoming more and more popular.

Does anyone think that this new infatuation with Jeeps (by people who might not have bought one in the past) will cause an increase in the resale price of used JKs? Or has it already done that? I haven't looked at used Jeep prices in years, so not sure, but just wondering if anyone has sold their used JK for a higher price than years past.

I almost wonder if I should go ahead and sell my 2015 JKU now if I might do it in the next few years anyhow. Maybe get a good price before the popularity "bubble" bursts.

Any thoughts?

I'll let you know.. I'm putting mine up for sale next week for $62k.

Reactions: TroutDaddy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am always confused about discussions about vehicles value and resale value. Vehicles are a lousy investment, all depreciate over time. Your debating on selling now and buying something newer in case your current value decreases. Well say your jeep is worth $30K and in 2 years time it deprecates $5k and you sell it for $25k. Your out $5k. Now say you sell it now for $30k and buy a new one for $40k. Your out $10k. If you keep the original and "loose" $5k, well you got usage for that $5k. What do you get for the $10k - new car smell?.

If you like your current jeep and it fits your needs, keep it and don't worry about the value now or later. If it is giving troubles and it may be better to buy a new one, get a new one. If you just like/want a new jeep and can afford it, go get one. A few $k here and there won't your overall lifestyle in the big picture. If it does, then you probably shouldn't/can't afford a new one.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There will always be two main types of people that buy Wranglers IMHO:

1) People with a long history and an attachment to them due to having owned a CJ, YJ, military Jeep, etc. I'm in that group, having grown up in the 60's and being drug around on a car hood in the snow by a rope from my uncle's old Willys. I bought my first CJ7 right out of high school, and my current JK is my 7th Jeep vehicle.

2) Those who are trendy, into looks and "the lifestyle" that they think a Jeep projects.

There have and likely always will be small bubbles regarding resale, but because I don't see either of the 2 groups mentioned completely going away, I think Wranglers will continue to hold their value.

That is unless A) FCA sells out and some new conglomerate neuters the Wrangler, or B) Trendy, narcissistic people with money die off. :)
It's all speculation, but #1 sounds pretty rare to qualify as a "main type" to me. I'd say it's more likely there is a larger group of people like me with general interest/experience offroading who finally decided to take a gamble on the Wrangler's generally poor reputation for just about everything except offroading.

Your #2 is probably the largest "main type" out there. Which is how you end up with the more-and-more-SUV-like Wrangler over time, and depressing shit-shows like the Liberty and Renegade.

I've owned about 65 cars, trucks and bikes in my life, plus I owned a semi-truck dealership, so I've bought and sold plenty of used vehicles, and frankly the steadily high resale value of the Wrangler is baffling to me. They aren't hard to find, and that's usually the main influence (along with obvious factors like age, condition, etc).

It's also interesting to me that prices seem pretty stable across the country. That's uncommon.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Of course prices varies across states but down here in Florida the used market is holding up pretty well, specially Rubicons. Not uncommon to see 2016 and 17 low mileage Rubi's going for high 30's. I paid $42K for my Recon and if I can sell it for $35K that's a hell of a good deal if you ask me.

But I can't see myself without Jeep, I wouldn't know what else to drive, really.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Here in So Cal, most Wranglers never see dirt. They are bought because they are cool. Many times as a 2nd or 3rd car by people that have never driven one for an hour. They look different and cool and project an active, outdoor, rugged lifestyle. Women love them. I've been told more than once by a woman that I am driving their dream car. It's not a car. It's almost like a cult, hence the wave. The market here is solid as long as the economy is strong. If the economy gets weak, many of those extra Wranglers hit the used market. I keep mine because I know this one will be it.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
It's all speculation, but #1 sounds pretty rare to qualify as a "main type" to me. I'd say it's more likely there is a larger group of people like me with general interest/experience offroading who finally decided to take a gamble on the Wrangler's generally poor reputation for just about everything except offroading.

Your #2 is probably the largest "main type" out there. Which is how you end up with the more-and-more-SUV-like Wrangler over time, and depressing shit-shows like the Liberty and Renegade.

I've owned about 65 cars, trucks and bikes in my life, plus I owned a semi-truck dealership, so I've bought and sold plenty of used vehicles, and frankly the steadily high resale value of the Wrangler is baffling to me. They aren't hard to find, and that's usually the main influence (along with obvious factors like age, condition, etc).

It's also interesting to me that prices seem pretty stable across the country. That's uncommon.
Maybe it's baffling to you because you don't believe in #1. :)

When did you buy your first Jeep?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i checked the KBB on my JK. Its 2 years old with 20,000 miles on it and at its lowest price is worth only 2k less than i paid for it. Thats cheaper than a lease! I love my jeep and knowing if i ever have to sell it i can get every penny its worth and maybe more just makes me happier to drive it.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I am always confused about discussions about vehicles value and resale value. Vehicles are a lousy investment, all depreciate over time. Your debating on selling now and buying something newer in case your current value decreases. Well say your jeep is worth $30K and in 2 years time it deprecates $5k and you sell it for $25k. Your out $5k. Now say you sell it now for $30k and buy a new one for $40k. Your out $10k. If you keep the original and "loose" $5k, well you got usage for that $5k. What do you get for the $10k - new car smell?.

If you like your current jeep and it fits your needs, keep it and don't worry about the value now or later. If it is giving troubles and it may be better to buy a new one, get a new one. If you just like/want a new jeep and can afford it, go get one. A few $k here and there won't your overall lifestyle in the big picture. If it does, then you probably shouldn't/can't afford a new one.
I can see how you might be confused. Your confusion is based on a few things. First, incorrectly assuming that I bought my JK as an investment, which is false. Your confusion is also because the set of facts you are drawing conclusions from are not my facts and have nothing to do with me or my question. I'm not considering selling my 2015 Jeep JKU to buy a new one. I'm going to sell and not get another Jeep.

My question was more centered around whether people thought that JK popularity these days would actually raise the price (overall) of used JK's. Or, if we'd see an uptick in used prices. Depreciation probably won't overcome that in any hypothetical, but that doesn't mean it might not be more beneficial to sell later vs. now.

I'm sure people have a price of what they think their JK is worth. If I wait another year, then I have to determine if the joy of owning the Jeep for another year is worth the $5K value decrease. If I feel my enjoyment is worth more than $5k a year, which it probably is, then I should probably keep the Jeep for another year and sell next year.

as far as you putting "loose" in quotes - I'm assuming you are implying that the my spelling of that word was incorrect in a prior post, but I'm pretty sure I did not use that word. So, I'm assuming that part of your post is aimed at another poster. Actually, maybe your whole post is aimed at someone else, because it is borderline irrelevant to the question I asked.

*on top of all that, down here in Houston, everyone has a lifted JK these days so I think I just want to sell mine and get someone else that they're aren't 500 of on each city block. that, and being associated with the hipsters and bros that run rampant around here doing dumb stuff in their lifted JKs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
as far as you putting "loose" in quotes - I'm assuming you are implying that the my spelling of that word was incorrect in a prior post, but I'm pretty sure I did not use that word. So, I'm assuming that part of your post is aimed at another poster. Actually, maybe your whole post is aimed at someone else, because it is borderline irrelevant to the question I asked.
na.. I am a bad speller also. It was in quotes because you don't really lose the $$ if you use it. Guess I am a bad reader also. The first post discusses the value of your jeep today vs if a bubble bursts in the future and that was what I was addressing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
there's a lot of different reasons to own a jeep
but jeep would be discontinued if the "#1type" were a main driver of sales.

i'm probably one of the rarer types...
I got a jeep because I was beating the suspension off my other vehicles,
and needed a better all climate ride.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Resale is high which is good, wont get beat up on trade.

I traded my 17 Ram 1500 for my JKU, got excellent trade for it. Always wanted a Jerp, finally went for it.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I've put way too much money and time into my jeep to sell it now. It's customized past the point of no return. Just sent in a check to pay off the loan and get my title. 2017 JKU.

The 50k for the stock and then the 20k+ that I've put into it means that I want to keep it until it it rusts away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts