Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
IMO I could see Jeep expanding production in China to get a piece of the ever growing Chinese market for vehicles. But to move all production there? I will believe it when I see it happen.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Is it April 1st?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Washington Examiner... LOL.

Other sources correctly present the story as Jeep returning to produce Jeep vehicles in China for the Chinese market as they have done in the past.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So let me get this straight....Just because President Obama happens to really like the Jeep brand, is the right-leaning Washington Examiner implying that 1) he is responsible for outsourcing jobs to China, or 2) that he should personally step in and prevent Fiat from moving production overseas?

Besides, how I read the article they were considering building all models in China (ie...set up a plant to build GCs, JKs, Libis, etc...) rather than shutting down all US production and moving it overseas. If from a business standpoint you have a high demand for a product and have the ability to build the product near the demand (and save considerable $$$ on transportation), why wouldn't it make sense to build them there for the Chinese market. That's EXACTLY what VW, BMW, MB, Toyota, Nissan, etc....when they build cars in this country for this market.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Politics aside, I think it would really stink if 100% of the jeeps were made in china. I totally understand if they want to take advantage of emerging markets, but could you imagine driving a Chinese jeep??

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
politics aside, if the only Jeep in the Entire World were made in China, I'd walk away from any new purchase. Personally, anything I _do_ buy as far as possible, is made elsewhere. That which is totally unavailable elsewhere, with few exceptions, usually isn't on my purchase list anyway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think they mean that all models that are sold in China will be built in China vs. shipped to China.

No one in the US wants a Wrangler that is built in China. Completely kills the vibe of what a Wrangler is.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If this is indeed true, I guess this will be the last one for me....

·
Registered
346 Posts
In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China
I Bet you this is going to happen, Its just not feasible to build vehicles here anymore, especially in states that require silly laws,regulations and unions. To my understanding the GOP tried to make ohio a right to work state but got shot down on the ballot? Jeep couldnt/wouldnt dare move the plant to the south otherwise Chysler/FIAT would have a situation like what happened to Boeing so they have no choice but to move it to China to cut costs and prevent reckless strikes from happening.

Its a global economy, But this is also a reason why we need to stop china from manipulating everyone. It would be suicide for jeep to go over there, a year later china will rip it off and call it a Ceep. :) I think they would have better luck moving down to mexico or canada if they are going to move anywhere to help protect their IP

·
Registered
354 Posts
"The additional capacity would likely only augment Jeep's US output, not replace it.....Jeep currently builds all of its models in the US, but it has been enjoying rapidly growing overseas sales and is looking to capitalize on its momentum. Bloomberg notes that the marque is targeting sales of 500,000 overseas units, which would represent a three-fold increase over its 2009 numbers. In fact, more than three out of four overseas deliveries for Chrysler brands this year have carried a seven-slot grille. Demand for the Grand Cherokee and Compass models in China are said to be particularly strong."

I think the Jeeps we purchase will still be made in USA. The sky is not falling.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
that's not a news article, it's a political ad. the quotes are taken out of context. hope you guys can see through the mud.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah, but it's fun to get all worked up over nothing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always knew FIAT was a POS company, they never had any respect amongst European car makers. No European who knows even a little bit about cars would buy a POS junk Fiat. They are notoriously bad cars in Europe, and I lived there for 2 decades.
You think they actually give a flying fig about Jeep being an American Icon, as long they figure they'll increase their profit margin they would move it to Syria or any third world country. Too bad the Mercedes merger didn't work.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I always knew FIAT was a POS company, they never had any respect amongst European car makers. No European who knows even a little bit about cars would buy a POS junk Fiat. They are notoriously bad cars in Europe, and I lived there for 2 decades.
You think they actually give a flying fig about Jeep being an American Icon, as long they figure they'll increase their profit margin they would move it to Syria or any third world country. Too bad the Mercedes merger didn't work.
first, read the thread, they aren't moving production.

second, that's just not true, not anymore. The exact same thing is said about american car manufacturers, which is no longer true.

what about the lancia delta? alfa romeos, ferraris (now)? Fiat does not have a bad reputation anymore. not for a long time. In fact, their cars get fantastic reviews. Have you even driven a modern fiat? I have, many times and many types. I can tell you're living off misconceptions from by-gone eras.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.