Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last couple times I've had to sit in heavy traffic my jeep starts to drive funny. It will pull hard to the right and the brake pedal will have a strange feel to it. A few times I've smelled what maybe brakes. I'll notice that if I'm on a slight incline the jeep wont roll if I let off the brakes.

I just recently got Mickey Thompson Classic III with 33inch tires and the jeep aligned. From what I can tell the steering wheel is aligned and drives straight till I get stuck in traffic. I don't do a lot of heavy braking but I do live in hot and humid Florida. If I pull off for a bit and grab a bite and let it cool down it then drives perfectly fine. I also just recently changed my brakes but I do have a bad speed sensor that is throwing the ESC light and get the light squeeze on the right side when I start up. I don't do any wheeling right now and am strictly mall crawling. (sad I know...)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Immediate thought is that you have a stuck caliper that doesn't release after sitting in traffic for a bit. This makes sense, especially if you smell what appears to be your brakes.

Also - if you have Hill Assist on, it will not roll backwards as it engages the rear brakes on a hill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hill assist is not on as I have a bad speed sensor, so the ESC light is on but it's been on way longer than i've had this issue.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
caliper... had the same issue with the wife commander, got a re-maned caliper and flushed the brake lines...all good now.

you can try and bleed the brake lines to see if that helps and also spend an afternoon and clean/ grease the brake pistons. Tones of youtube vids on how to do this!

·
Registered
571 Posts
My old JK did the same thing one night. I pulled over and looked at the front left tire(was pulling to left) and the brake disc was glowing red hot! Stuck caliper, which released once it cooled down. I had the caliper replaced.

Few months later, the right brake did the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts