Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago my 1990 YJ had the carb rebuilt because of idling issues. It seemed to work fine until the weather has started to cool off (below 70 in tucson). When its cold the Jeep seems to randomly idle very low or not at all. Thankfully I have mastered using the break while milking the throttle to stop without killing it. I have no automotive experience so any help would be great. Also, when its cold my sound system outputs engine noise (not sure if this has any relation to the issue).

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Replace the condenser by the distributor that might solve the problem but should have nothing to do with your carb. situation. While you're at it you should probably replace the cap, rotor and condenser. With your carb. first try cleaning it real good in and out with carb. cleaner, cleaning the linkage real well. Also, check your auto. choke on the passenger side of the carb. to see where it is set. The best luck that I have had is when it is set to 1 notch rich. If it's not loosen the screws, but don't remove them, and turn it to the 1 rich setting. When cold, manually open the butterfly using the linkage and see if the plate stays closed. If it does your auto choke is probably working properly if not that's why you have a low idle when cold. You would also have a hard start. It may only need to be adjusted or the internal mechanism could be malfunctioning. Given that you have no automotive experience, if the above doesn't work then I would recommend that you go back to the rebuilder/shop for help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for the help! I will try the condenser if you think that will help the idling. With regards to the carb, my Jeep has a stepper motor which I think means I can't adjust the idle.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Thankyou so much for the help! I will try the condenser if you think that will help the idling. With regards to the carb, my Jeep has a stepper motor which I think means I can't adjust the idle.
The condenser will not help with the carb. but should help regarding the engine noise through the sound system. The idle can be adjusted. There is a set screw on the driver's side of the carb. that you can turn to raise the idle when the engine is hot, for best results. The auto choke can be adjusted in the same area, but it has to be working properly first. When it's cold and you pump it 2-4 times and turn the key with your foot off of the gas it should start and go up to a max of 2,200 rpm at temps below approx. 30 deg. At about 60-65 it should go up to approx. 1600 rpms and then kick down to about 1200. It idles best hot between 700-1000 rpm's depending upon your preference. I recommend you don't attempt to adjust the choke. Try bumping up the idle set screw a bit to see if that helps. When cold if it doesn't start like I indicated, try the basics in my previous post. If it doesn't work I think you should have someone else look at it. Also, make sure all of your vac. lines are connected properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, I think I will try that. And for the condenser, whats the best place to buy one? Also, is it pretty guaranteed to fix it? I know if i adjust my amp it becomes louder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts