Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my 2017 Rubicon is showing it's first sign of an issue. After getting back from a wheeling trip which included multiple water crossings and winch usage, she drove the whole way home just fine.

The next day after driving around town, I come up to a light and as I'm coming to a stop and push in the clutch, she revs up and down from ~1k-2+k multiple times. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens almost every time if I turn the vents on, even just low. It'll idle noticeably higher with the vents on, but the moment I turn them off it comes back down.

I think this may have been a slow developing issue, because thinking back there were periods where I would notice sluggish then sudden acceleration patterns in the past.

This doesn't seem like a common issue, since I can't seem to find much on it.
But so far, most articles point to possible vacuum line leak. Sound right? Or where should I start looking?

I appreciate any insight.

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
It sounds like a throttle pedal failing. It is only a sensor that tells the computer how far you are pushing the pedal. It is all electronic.
It could be a vacuum leak, but they way you describe sluggish pedal response in the past points to an issue with the throttle pedal, not a vacuum leak.
Of course I could be wrong. But ours had a failure of the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like a throttle pedal failing. It is only a sensor that tells the computer how far you are pushing the pedal. It is all electronic.
It could be a vacuum leak, but they way you describe sluggish pedal response in the past points to an issue with the throttle pedal, not a vacuum leak.
Of course I could be wrong. But ours had a failure of the throttle pedal.
Where would I find that? And any way to test it?

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
It is down by your foot. You push on it with your foot to go. I am sure there are tests you can run. Or you can replace it for just over $100. It is an easy job you can do yourself if you buy the part.

·
Registered
290 Posts
One thing you might could consider, if it is in the throttle, is getting and iDrive. Might not fix your issue, or it might, either way its a good upgrade regardless so its not something you would regret getting

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
When ours had a throttle pedal failure the throttle widget made it worse. I don't know how, but it did. I would fix the issue first. If you want a widget after that, go for it. But my experience says don't install a throttle widget when you have a possible throttle issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When ours had a throttle pedal failure the throttle widget made it worse. I don't know how, but it did. I would fix the issue first. If you want a widget after that, go for it. But my experience says don't install a throttle widget when you have a possible throttle issue.
Interesting and good advice. My thought was the iDrive would overide the signal and "fix it" when you set it but experience always wins out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The iDrive looks interesting and definitely something I would try out. But I'd rather not add a new variable to the issue. Solve the issue then maybe try it out down the road.

On the hunt for a throttle testing method... Start ruling some things out.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I'm guessing it's one of the sensors that measures air flow. I doubt it's the throttle. You would see that using any scan tool looking at the throttle position %.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts