Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 2.5l 5 speed. I'm planning to make a trip to northern Georgia which is about 8 hours from where I live. If I drive 60 mph my rpms are at almost 3k would it hurt my engine or transmission or anything else to run that high for that long? I'm ok with getting bad gas mileage for this trip but I won't take it if it will be hard on the jeep in any way

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 1997 2.5l 5 speed. I'm planning to make a trip to northern Georgia which is about 8 hours from where I live. If I drive 60 mph my rpms are at almost 3k would it hurt my engine or transmission or anything else to run that high for that long? I'm ok with getting bad gas mileage for this trip but I won't take it if it will be hard on the jeep in any way
They are built to be....driven.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about putting miles on it I'm worried about overheating my engine or tranny or something like that

·
Registered
881 Posts
It is designed to run at those rpm's . We drove one from San Diego to North Carolina like that with no problems.
If you're worried about gas mileage, our best mileage was at 55mph (over 20 mpg). Over 70 mph and we were getting closer to 15

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
It's nuts these little 4poppers are revvy engines! As long as the cooling system is operating right you should stay happy at 210°. I'm in Texas BTW so I have experience with both heat and long hauls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just check all your fluids before you make that long of a drive otherwise the 2.5 is bulletproof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do long road trips in my 2.5 all the time. With 31s on the highway I have had the pedal to the floor for over 100 miles strait on a particular road trip I take to NY several times a year. No ill effects yet.

For those 4.0 guys... The top speed of a 2.5l is between 60 and 75 depending on wind direction and incline ...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Before I regeared my Jeep, I drove it loaded down from my place here in the Los Angeles area all the way east to Houston, then northeast into eastern Oklahoma. Great times, and it probably helped clean out the crud to help it pass smog right after returning from the 3,300 mi. trip! On the interstates, I drove my 4.0l at about 3,000 rpm there and back. Not a problem. Be sure to change your oil before and after the trip, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright thanks guys. I'll change the oil and clean out air filter etc... Then head on up. Thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts