Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even the craziest thing. Don't know person but hear a loud bang the other day. Turns out a JKU down the road rolled out of a driveway right into a post. The hitch took a chunk out if the wooden hydro post but the worst was the entire tire pushed in the tailgate, blew the tire, shattered the hardtop window, and even bent the tub. It was bad.

The guy was sleeping and looked to be a bit in shock when he came out. Considering the 5 people standing around it.

He was lucky nobody was hurt. A few extra feet to the side it would of hopped the curb and ended up in a house.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
That sucks. I've heard of issues with both the manual and auto transmissions being unable to hold the jeeps on a hill. I never used the e-brake on my YJ. The trans would hold it in my driveway just fine. Now I put the brake on and make sure there is enough to hold the jeep in place, then stick it in gear. At the bottom of my driveway my neighbors truck usually sits. I'd hate to have it roll down and hit his truck. Or worse someone walking down the street.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
People who don't use the parking brake, even on an auto are fools.

I always use mine and if people knew how small the park pawl is, they would too.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
People who don't use the parking brake, even on an auto are fools.

I always use mine and if people knew how small the park pawl is, they would too.
No I don't know, how small it the pawl?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Always use the parking brake on the hill, probably a good idea in an auto too, as you may want to avoid undue stress/wear on the parking pawl. The parking brake in these Jeeps isn't the best, sometimes I catch the Jeep rolling even though I have pulled it up with quite some force. To me seems like a safety issue, surprised by how hit or miss it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My brake handle was all the way to top ,inside the jeep,and jeep wouldn't hold on hill ,I found there is a hook and loop type setup on my 03 TJ located on drivers side rear caliper..Ebrake came unhooked just behind the rear caliper ,reinstalled and now it holds fine with the inside embarked handle halfway pulled up ...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
On a steep grade I put it in first/reverse and 4LO.

Best ebrake I ever had was the foot brake on the old YJ.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Always use the parking brake. I've been told by many people that it's dumb, even that I might hurt the parking brake by using it so much. I'd rather replace my parking brake than my transmission or my entire Jeep, thank you very much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can attest to in gear not being enough to hold Jeep on a steep hill. I once had to get it towed and the genius decided to drive it up the ramp of the tow truck (about a 60 or 70 degree incline -- yes, my Jeep was still driveable, long story). He turned it off and put in first but it started to slowly roll down the ramp. The e brake was not working well at the time so it didn't help.

After that incident I decided to fix the e brake based on the numerous threads already on here. It now holds very strong and I think the e brake alone would likely hold on such a steep incline but I do know that first gear is not enough.

Fortunately I live in FL (no hills) but otherwise I would check my e brake regularly, always put in to 1st/reverse and maybe get some wheel chocks just to be safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always use ebrake, even though my jku is automatic. Learned this years ago the hard way when I had just gotten my license. Came out of a store to find the little car I was driving had rolled in the parking lot into the back of another car. No damage. But they has called the police. I was just a few months past 16 years old and was mortified. Luckily the guy I was seeing at the time dealt with the whole mess while I just tried to hid my face.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've worried about the same as my driveway had an incline to it so when I park and let off the brake it will roll back. What I do is have my manual in neutral then I engage the parking brake and take my foot off the brake and sometimes it will still roll back so I pull a bit harder on the handle until it doesn't roll anymore then I put it in gear and shut the engine off. It isn't going anywhere after that.

I cringe when I've seen a manual parked and only the e-brake is on and it's in neutral, especially if it's parked on an hill, that's a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I can imagine this happening on a manual unless the clutch was badly worn or slipping.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Wonder why it's still called an emergency brake. I assume in the old days it was used if the main brakes failed. Don't hear about that too much any more.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wonder why it's still called an emergency brake. I assume in the old days it was used if the main brakes failed. Don't hear about that too much any more.

It isn't. Calling it that is just habit. No manufacturer will call it that.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts