Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm helping the Brother-in-Law do some maintenance on his 2005 Rubicon. We pulled the front axle shafts and both driveshafts. We brought the shafts to a local driveline shop. The replacement ujoints are Spicer 5-760X for the front axle shafts, 5-793X for the front and rear differentials, 5-795X for the rear driveshaft end connecting to the transfer case, and the CV kit to rebuild the front Double cardan joint. We also replaced the Wheel Unit bearings with Timken bearings. Before the new parts were installed he was getting a small vibration at anything over 50 mph. After replacing all the parts including the newly rebuilt driveshafts the vibration is much worse. We disconnected the front shaft and gave it a test drive, the vibration was gone. After looking closer at the driveshafts it appears that the shop mixed up some of the ujoint caps and/or position in the yokes. The 5-793X joints have in fact two different sized caps and two are spring clips and two are c clips. Nowhere on the shaft can we see a spring clip. He also ground out two of the yoke holes in the joint connecting the shaft at the transfer case. I don't recall if the original joints had the spring clips or not, it did have the holes filled with plastic. Can a shop mess this up that bad or am I just paranoid and it could be something else.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
So, I'm helping the Brother-in-Law do some maintenance on his 2005 Rubicon. We pulled the front axle shafts and both driveshafts. We brought the shafts to a local driveline shop. The replacement ujoints are Spicer 5-760X for the front axle shafts, 5-793X for the front and rear differentials, 5-795X for the rear driveshaft end connecting to the transfer case, and the CV kit to rebuild the front Double cardan joint. We also replaced the Wheel Unit bearings with Timken bearings. Before the new parts were installed he was getting a small vibration at anything over 50 mph. After replacing all the parts including the newly rebuilt driveshafts the vibration is much worse. We disconnected the front shaft and gave it a test drive, the vibration was gone. After looking closer at the driveshafts it appears that the shop mixed up some of the ujoint caps and/or position in the yokes. The 5-793X joints have in fact two different sized caps and two are spring clips and two are c clips. Nowhere on the shaft can we see a spring clip. He also ground out two of the yoke holes in the joint connecting the shaft at the transfer case. I don't recall if the original joints had the spring clips or not, it did have the holes filled with plastic. Can a shop mess this up that bad or am I just paranoid and it could be something else.
I wouldn't say you are paranoid at all. A shop shouldn't have to grind any part of the yokes to make u-joints fit. If they are not fitting...something is wrong! Take it to another shop that specializes in 4x4's/and or drive lines, and have them document what they had to correct of the first shop's work.
Go back to the first shop and get your $'s back and whatever it cost you to repair their damage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say you are paranoid at all. A shop shouldn't have to grind any part of the yokes to make u-joints fit. If they are not fitting...something is wrong! Take it to another shop that specializes in 4x4's/and or drive lines, and have them document what they had to correct of the first shop's work.
Go back to the first shop and get your $'s back and whatever it cost you to repair their damage.
That is what he wants to do. We will need to pull the shafts again. I can then measure the caps. He is going to bring it to the Jeep Dealer for an opinion. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts