Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I its 55 here in Texas and I was waiting for a friend and while idling the jeep was running at 226 degrees is this normal? Usually I see it run at 195 to 199.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I'm not sure what the thermostat is rated at. If it were an older (non-computerized, etc) type engine I'd say...

First make sure your coolant level isn't low (still applies here);

If full, next I'd check the thermostat...BUT

on these engines there is a miriad of other things (electric fans, and I don't know what else) it could be.

I don't think that engine temp is near normal, but as to potential cause(s) I'm not knowledgeable enough.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine will do the same thing when in 4 low or sitting idle for a period of time. I can watch the temp on the EVIC go to 226 or so, then I hear the fan come on and I watch it drop back down to around 200. On the highway (lots of air traveling over the radiator), mine will run around 196 to 199. The radiator needs air flowing over it, like when you're driving, to maintain an even temp...otherwise, you will see exactly what you are seeing.

·
Registered
33,928 Posts
My 07 with 79,xxx has been doing that since (scan gauge II) day one. Water temp hits 226 than back down. In the city or the highway.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,851 Posts
This seems to be normal for the 2014 and 2015. Probably running hotter to meet Federal fuel mileage mandate.

If for some reason you have a need for a long duration idle, then turn on your A/C, if so equipped. Your cooling fan, should run continuous with the A/C on. At least mine does on my 2013. In hot mid-summer in Phoenix, with the A/C on at idle, mine has never gone over 212 degrees. I have checked mine with a Infra-red heat gun, pointed at the top radiator tank. The needle on my gauge stays dead center.

I do flush my radiator externally once a month. We have lots of bugs in Arizona!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts