Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am having a problem with my jeep, due to my negligence of having my car on an empty gas. My car won't start. Last night, it was on E again and now it isn't starting. What could it be I did an oil change and my car now has a full gas tank? Can anyone help me ?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Have you replaced your fuel filter? Running it dry can cause the junk at the bottom of the tank to get sucked up. Start by changing your fuel filter.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Check the battery and charging system. There could also be a glitch involving the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which controls power with a JK. In the TIPM check locations J13, M19, M21 and M25. The fuel pump assembly could have failed, but just being on "empty" shouldn't have caused that type of condition. The way the fuel pump assembly with a JK operates is that fuel is pumped from the tank into a reservoir located within the fuel pump assembly. The reservoir keeps filling and fuel is then moved through the pump, through the fuel rail, etc. When the fuel tank is "empty", fuel is no longer pumped into the reservoir and you're technically out of gas. The reservoir stays full which does two things. First, the fuel pump doesn't overheat because there's still fuel to cool the pump when it shuts down, unlike with older fuel injection systems. Second, any type of debris that could be in the bottom of the tank, which is not likely, isn't moved through the fuel pump filters so there's no debris which might cause a clog. Chrysler indicates that JK fuel filters aren't serviceable and the fuel pump assembly is supposed to be replaced as a unit. IMO it should be professionally diagnosed. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts