Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, today I was driving up a pretty steep incline have a few thousand feet on a paved road. I was pushing about 3500 rpm in 4th gear than an odd smell started to come from my jeep. It made it up the rest of the mountain fine than 3rd and 4th gear started to fun pretty rough like a little vibration while in gear. I finally reached my designation and parked it for a few hours and started her up again and now when shifting into all the gears at the beginning I get this un normal vibration that’s pretty concerning. It’s a 07 jk manuel transmission. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
It sounds like it is time to have the clutch replaced. If the face of the clutch is worn enough (they are a friction plate and do wear out) then it can start to slip. If it is early enough, the flywheel can be lightly sanded to remove any glazing (not scoring). Do not attempt to turn the flywheel for it is not a flat plate.

If you have a trusted mechanic who has done good work on your Jeep before, then I would take it to him. A dealership can do it of course, but you are then paying flat rate at $75 and hour. It is not a difficult process, but involved as it requires the removal of both drive shafts, the transfer case and transmission (since it is between the engine and transmission) and then of course all the stuff has to be reinstalled.

When I bought my TJ at 112K, one of the things I factored into the purchase was that I would have to replace the clutch before long, just on the mileage. It was actually replaced at 119K 18 months later. While my mechanic had them out, I had him drain and refill both the transmission and transfer case (the Jeep was 11 years old). Does the age and mileage sound familiar?

Do it ASAP for if you let it go you can score the flywheel and it would then have to be replaced and if the clutch comes apart can damage other items.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, it’s pretty crazy that u guess the exact mileage and years. Mines an 07 with 118000 and i will get it checked out this week. I appreciate the time you spent writing back thanks!

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Clutches are a normal wear and tear item just as brake pads and tires are. When I took mine in, it was more the spring and mechanism were going. My mechanic, got into the Jeep and with the door open cycled the clutch several times and said "I don't like the sound of that". He said I could get another 10K out of it, but a few minutes later a friend stopped by (he knew I was going there and when he was in HS worked for this mechanic). Since my friend was there I just left the TJ with the mechanic and hooked a ride home with my friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts