Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I'm looking at getting a jeep wrangler probably around a 95-02 due to price restrictions. I understand that with age mileage increases so I am wondering if there are any common or specific problems once mileage starts getting around 120k or so? I'd appreciate any insight

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ello, welcome to the forum!
You could find answers to probably all of your questions by searching. I know there are many threads like yours out there.

That said...
Rust is really the only issue. A trouble area is around the rear wheels. Inspect the whole frame and tub for rust on any examples you are interested in.
Best to stay away from modded jeeps, you don't want to be stuck fixing others' problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Like acf5 said, rust! very difficult to repair and always a headache. Anything beyond minimal surface rust is a no go in my book. I almost bought a sahara with under 60k on it but I noticed the control arm mounts had holes in them! No thanks, this is not exactly a rare car and you will find a nice one for the right price.

·
Registered
623 Posts
As perviously stated, rust is always a no no. What do you plan to do with it? If you're eventually going to run larger tires, a lift, etc. A dana 44 is worth its weight in gold to you. Tougher to find, but a lot of times, people don't realize what they have and sell them for the same price. Keep an eye out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
X2 on the Dana 44! You will be glad you have it.

Another thing, make sure you test drive it on bumpy roads at speed to ensure there is no death wobble.

·
Registered
659 Posts
About the death wobble
It just takes one bump to set it off. I highly doubt someone would try to sell the Jeep with a problem as big as that. DW is the result of the general sloppiness in the steering system. If you can wiggle the steering wheel from a stop with no response from the tires, ask and look into it or just move on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Speaking of Rust, I inspected a 2004 Rubi in Costa Mesa, CA at a New Car Dealership yesterday. It had come out of Florida and had allot of surface rust on the sheet metal and basically scared me away even though it had low miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts