Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background..
My jeep has about 144,000 miles on it, I bought it used with almost all the stuff it has on it, already like that, so I don't know very much about all of it. It has been driving just fine, but it started making this weird whistle.
The problem..
It started making a whistling/ squealing sound, a real high pitched sound, and it only happens above about 20 mph when I press the gas pedal down to a certian point, it's not a metal on metal sound it's like an air-whistling sound. The pitch of the sound changes with how far I press on the pedal, and if I press the pedal down far enough, the sound stops, but then if I let back off the pedal a little, back to when the squealing started, it starts whistling/squealing again. But if I completely let off the pedal, it also stops. The pitch changing has no correlation to the rpm's, only with how far the gas pedal is pressed down. I know from looking under the hood I have a Afe cold air intake, and I have done a lot of searching to try to find an answer to this, I can't seem to find anything quite like mine, I have read that cai will make this noise, but why would it just now start doing it? So I went and tightened the hose clamps on the cai, and test drove it, with no change. It still whistled at certain points when pressing the gas pedal down ,above 20 mph. Because it doesn't make this sound while revving it in neutral, I can't find the exact spot where the sound is coming from in the engine compartment, but I do know it is coming from the engine compartment. What could this possibly be? Anyone had anything like this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have something similar to yours I posted a thread jeep is howling, mine isn't quite a squeal its that whistle howl noise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
check your front driveshaft on the transfercase side I had a loud squealing sound i changed brakes and wheel bearings and still had a noise it was the double cardan joint

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, I really hope it's not one of those driveshaft joints or u joints, cause I would have no idea how to fix that, and that sounds expensive to fix. Could it really be that? The strange thing is that it only makes the whistling/squeal sound when the gas pedal is in a certian position, so that being said would there still be the possibility of a driveshaft/ u-joint problem?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bet it is the CAI, if you have the stock air box put it on and see if it changes. If you don't, try cleaning the filter. I hope one of these changes or fixes your noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have the stock intake since i bought it used, buthaven't tried cleaning the filter, I bet it hasn't been cleaned in a long time, I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got around to cleaning air filter. Not much dirt came out of it. I also took the whole cold air intake tube out and inspected it for cracks, it's perfect. Hopefully putting everything back on tomorrow and tightening all the clamps will fix the squeal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been driving it around since cleaning the air filter, and nothing has changed, it still makes the exact same squeal/ whistle sound. Not sure what to try now...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same exact noise as you!!!!! same with the gas pedal and 20mph. No idea what is causing this. i just turn my volume on the radio up and try to ignore it. The noise goes completely away once I am in 4th gear, I have no clue why.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in the same boat as everyone here. Mine though is at a certain point in 4th and 5th gear I get the high pitched whistling. Very annoying!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, very annoying. I tried to record a video of the sound with my smartphone while driving, but the whistle is so high pitched the microphone couldn't even pick it up! And my dad couldn't hear it very well so maybe it's something so high pitched that only young ears can hear it good. Anyways it's super annoying being that high pitched. Cleaning the cold air intake didn't change it at all. So maybe it's a vaccum line leak? Would the pressure in vaccum lines change with the amount of throttle applied? Cause if not, there must be some component of the intake that's causing the whistle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gogetem1994, Mine doesn't make the sound in 4th gear either(which is the overdrive gear according to the reading I've done online) so that's really weird. Or I might not have pushed the engine hard enough in 4th, cause of the speed limit being 50, and cops always crawling all over the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went out in the garage tonight and sprayed most of the little hose connections I could see connecting to the intake. I didn't have any carb cleaner, but I read that wd-40 would work too, so I tried that. After spraying the connections I could see, none made any change in the idle speed. Are there any specific ones I should try that I may not have checked due to my lack of knowledge on vacuum lines?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts