Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was at this mud hole, and I was feeling cocky. So I decided to take on the biggest hole there. Long story short my headlights ended up underwater. Me being really stupid I tried to recrank it underwater. So after we got pulled out. I can't get her to crank back up, it turns over and just about cranks but it just won't. Checked the spark plugs, checked the oil for water and everything is fine. Only thing I can think of is water got into the gas tank. Its acting like its not getting gas. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Jeeps a 2000 4.0

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds like you got water in the intake, pull the air cleaner filter and see if its wet. try starting without filter, if it starts buy a new filter.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
This is scary sounding... trying to start an engine that is under water is going to try to pull water in through the air intake into the cylinders. If water made it into the cylinders, the engine could be toast from things like a bent connecting rods, broken crank, etc.

The first thing to do is to remove all of the spark plugs and try to crank the engine. If water shoots out of the spark plug holes while (if) the engine cranks, that could mean curtains for the engine.

If it cranks without water shooting out of the spark plug holes after the spark plugs have been removed, there may be hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the dried the distributor? Had this happen a week ago and had a ton of water in my exhaust and a soaked distributor. It took awhile to push out the water from the exhaust but eventually fired. Would barely even want to start with the distributor wet.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It turns over but doesn't fire, if he hydro locked it there is at least one broken valve in there or a substantial head crack to let the water out, otherwise rods bend and break.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I removed alll spark plugs, cranked it and no water came out which is good. Put new spark plugs in it. Got some starter spray to try and fire it up by spraying down the carb, it just about kicks over but won't quite turn over.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
If it has a distributor cap (2000 is right when the switch was made away from the distributor) remove it and dry it out, then and rinse that area out with WD-40 to help remove any remaining moisture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it has the rail, I wish it was a distributer cap. I took off the rail and sparyed it with wd40 as I was changing the spark plugs

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Check the Crankshaft Position Sensor next to the flywheel high up on the driver's side. Maybe that area is packed full of mud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was definitely the crankshaft sensor. Got her running, appreciate that a lot. But now my clutch fan is no good and I got a hole In the radiator which I replaced last year,and the transmission won't switch gears. But atleast its running with no knocking haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts