Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ive got a 1999 sahara, it has the 4.0 and it takes three or four turns of the key to get it to start. my old jeep, the exact same thing but a different color started on the the first crank. any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 04 that sometimes takes 2 cranks to get it to start. would be interested to hear what everyone says about that....at least where to start looking first!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 97'. From everything I have read it is probably the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) on top of the fuel pump. I ordered one for mine yesterday and will be changing mine out soon. If you key on the ignition until the FP stops spinning then key off and back on and let it spool up again, then try and start it. What is probably happening is the fuel line is bleeding back into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
690 Posts
donrambo said:
I have an 04 that sometimes takes 2 cranks to get it to start. would be interested to hear what everyone says about that....at least where to start looking first!
Had the same problem, along with about 3-4 other problems... Changed my fuel pump out...
Now it fires right up just one bump of the key and other problems now gone to....

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Classic text book example of the fuel pressure regulator gone bad.
Check valve inside it goes bad, and instead of holding fuel pressure it lets it bleed off.

After sitting overnight you have no fuel pressure in the rail for the injectors.

Like said the check is easy, before you fire it up in the a.m. you can check for pressure at the rail, or just turn the key to run for a couple of seconds, then off. If it then fires right up, you got a bad regulator.

It sits on top of the fuel pump, a wise thing would be to replace your fuel pump at the same time, as the only fuel filter is mounted to the pump.

Got a pump and regulator sitting in my tool box, at 150 thousand on the clock it's probably about time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I signed onto this forum for help with this exact problem and have already spent too much chasing the problem:nonono: please let me know if the regulator fixes it!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Check valve inside it goes bad...
The rumor claiming that there is a check valve in the FPR is greatly exaggerated.

It sits on top of the fuel pump, a wise thing would be to replace your fuel pump at the same time, as the only fuel filter is mounted to the pump.
In fact, there is a pleated paper fuel filter in the FPR assembly. You can't replace the FPR without replacing the filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts