Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am considering buying a 2004 Jeep TJ. I would only be able to afford one car so it would have to be my daily driver as well. I travel to and from school about once a month and the trip is 2hours long on the highway. Has anyone driven their TJ on the highway, and how was it? I don’t mind noise. Also I know Jeep’s are bad on gas but I was wondering how bad? I drove an F150 for 2 years and my car right now needs premium gas so I am used to paying higher for gas. Thank you in advance for any advice and information you can offer me!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Daily driver here going on 6 years. Its not bad. My commute to work is 80 miles roundtrip a day. I also make frequent(!) trips that are in the 8 hour range. My biggest complaint is space, it is very limited in a TJ. As far as mileage, I average about 15. Gear it correctly and keep up on maintenance.

·
Registered
2016 JK w/ Snowplow & Trailer Hitch 7-Pin
268 Posts
I'm running a 2016 JK as a daily driver and chore truck. 100 miles per day M-F and about twice per month 300 mile round trip to our Country Cabin

I'm getting close to 20MPG.

As Tworly mentiond, staying on top of the maintence!

It can be done.

--------------------
I chose the One Vehicle path because my last chore truck died from non-use.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I daily drove a tj a few different times...not to mention a rusty ol cj5 back in college. in the early 2000s my black 98 sport 6cyl 5 speed with 33s and 3:73 gears would get about 14mpg on my 190 mile round trip. if I put the stock tires back on I got about 18mpg. most recently(year ago) was a green 01 sahara 6cyl, 5 speed, 373 gears and 30's(stock was about a 29 I think) and I averaged about 14-15 on my daily 30 mile round trip...I got about 17mpg straight highway. as tworley said space is an issue. not only storage but i.m a bit bigger(shoulder width specifically) and older than I was when I had the 98 so the 01 was a bit cramped...as in narrow. both of them I had to raise the seat as i;m all legs also. I still spent hours at a time driving the tj either plowing, or work trips to chicago.

on a side note my current 2012 JKUR is way more rommy and comfy with about the same mpg with the 35's on it....but I do miss the simplicity and rawness of the tj

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 JKU Rubi 10A and '01 TJ Sport
16 Posts
Daily drove my modified TJ from 2007-2016. My TJ has a 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 35s, 4.0, 5 spd manual, 4.88 gears, and soft top. Definitely doable. I drove it to and from college 1,000 miles each way. Even drove it from Arkansas to Key West. My mileage was 17 mpg highway max (no hills, no wind) going around 70 mph. More often than not, it was around 15 mpg highway depending on the winds. City MPG was around 13 mpg. If noise doesn't bother you, you can do it no problem. I would put in earplugs on the long trips.

Now that I'm getting older and have my JKU, I won't go back to DD'ing my TJ. It's only for trail or weekend use. I have started to like the creature comforts more lol

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Daily drive my 05 Rubicon. Gas milage is closer to 12 around town. I stopped calculating and stressing over MPG. No point. I just fill as needed. I got it 3 years ago with about 183k miles. I am going to hit 220k in the next week or so.

Longest routine commute is about 30 miles each way to my weekend job. Driving is the best part of the day!
I have gone to RI, about 2 hours each way. Can get long if doing that long on the highway with doors and windows off. Still fun.

Love it as a daily. Fat tires do not help MPG, but do look cool and soak up the potholes and bumps in the crappy New England roads. Very fun to drive. I am constantly looking to replace things before they get to point of failure. So, overall... Reliability was good and gets better the longer I own it. Oil changes frequently (I do every 3k miles) and stay on top of things before they become a tow home. Nobody asks you to help move them out of their houses, because you can't load the TJ up with much of anything. That is a plus.

Reactions: Bramble07

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I won’t daily drive my jeeps. I put $
1k miles on each of my jeeps year. I bought a 2005 TJ brand new in college and daily drove ir but only local. I wouldn’t daily a 20 year old jeep (I daily 2 2000 insights and SLK now) daily but it can be done. Jeeps are expensive.....can you afford to replace parts consistently?

·
Registered
227 Posts
College student here who DDs a 2004. I’ve had it about 4 years and I live about 45 minutes from home and make the trip often all highway. I have no problems on the highway and I average about 13 mpg. This is with 33s and 3.73 gears with the auto transmission. Regarding space I removed the back seat and I think it helps significantly- also don’t have any friends/roommates asking for rides anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Daily driver here going on 6 years. Its not bad. My commute to work is 80 miles roundtrip a day. I also make frequent(!) trips that are in the 8 hour range. My biggest complaint is space, it is very limited in a TJ. As far as mileage, I average about 15. Gear it correctly and keep up on maintenance.

View attachment 4494526
Thank you so much for the reply! Awesome looking Jeep btw

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a 2016 JK as a daily driver and chore truck. 100 miles per day M-F and about twice per month 300 mile round trip to our Country Cabin

I'm getting close to 20MPG.

As Tworly mentiond, staying on top of the maintence!

It can be done.

--------------------
I chose the One Vehicle path because my last chore truck died from non-use.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I daily drove a tj a few different times...not to mention a rusty ol cj5 back in college. in the early 2000s my black 98 sport 6cyl 5 speed with 33s and 3:73 gears would get about 14mpg on my 190 mile round trip. if I put the stock tires back on I got about 18mpg. most recently(year ago) was a green 01 sahara 6cyl, 5 speed, 373 gears and 30's(stock was about a 29 I think) and I averaged about 14-15 on my daily 30 mile round trip...I got about 17mpg straight highway. as tworley said space is an issue. not only storage but i.m a bit bigger(shoulder width specifically) and older than I was when I had the 98 so the 01 was a bit cramped...as in narrow. both of them I had to raise the seat as i;m all legs also. I still spent hours at a time driving the tj either plowing, or work trips to chicago.

on a side note my current 2012 JKUR is way more rommy and comfy with about the same mpg with the 35's on it....but I do miss the simplicity and rawness of the tj
That’s super helpful thank you! Your Jeep is really cool!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I won’t daily drive my jeeps. I put $
1k miles on each of my jeeps year. I bought a 2005 TJ brand new in college and daily drove ir but only local. I wouldn’t daily a 20 year old jeep (I daily 2 2000 insights and SLK now) daily but it can be done. Jeeps are expensive.....can you afford to replace parts consistently?
That’s a really good consideration, thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daily drive my 05 Rubicon. Gas milage is closer to 12 around town. I stopped calculating and stressing over MPG. No point. I just fill as needed. I got it 3 years ago with about 183k miles. I am going to hit 220k in the next week or so.

Longest routine commute is about 30 miles each way to my weekend job. Driving is the best part of the day!
I have gone to RI, about 2 hours each way. Can get long if doing that long on the highway with doors and windows off. Still fun.

Love it as a daily. Fat tires do not help MPG, but do look cool and soak up the potholes and bumps in the crappy New England roads. Very fun to drive. I am constantly looking to replace things before they get to point of failure. So, overall... Reliability was good and gets better the longer I own it. Oil changes frequently (I do every 3k miles) and stay on top of things before they become a tow home. Nobody asks you to help move them out of their houses, because you can't load the TJ up with much of anything. That is a plus.
The roads around my area can be crappy too so that’s really helpful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
College student here who DDs a 2004. I’ve had it about 4 years and I live about 45 minutes from home and make the trip often all highway. I have no problems on the highway and I average about 13 mpg. This is with 33s and 3.73 gears with the auto transmission. Regarding space I removed the back seat and I think it helps significantly- also don’t have any friends/roommates asking for rides anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much! Removing the backseat is a really great idea!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I daily drove a '87 YJ in college, and my 2008 JK from 2007 to 2015. Never again. In 2015 I switched to daily driving a Prius for the economy, and save the miles on my Jeep for fun time.

Like @Beatrice said, they're expensive. A single tire on my JK cost more than four tires on my Prius, to mention nothing of the cost savings in fuel and oil changes. I gave up daily driving my JK when I did the math and found that I could pay for a Prius' monthly payment in the gasoline saving alone, lol.

Additionally, as has been said, space. Despite owning a JK Unlimited, and in theory having more space, I can say the lack of privacy & security in any Jeep translates to a lack of usable storage. It's neither safe nor advisted to leave belongs in the Jeep when making quick errands. Constantly a worry about what to do with a work bag, etc., if I need to make a stop on the way to/from the office.

Like they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, well the same is true for our Jeeps. Relegating my JK to a "sometimes" vehicles makes those moments of usage far more enjoyable. Save yourself the headache and either wait or daily drive it just long enough to pay it off, and find another economical vehicle for your daily driver IMHO.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,902 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I daily drove a '87 YJ in college, and my 2008 JK from 2007 to 2015. Never again. In 2015 I switched to daily driving a Prius for the economy, and save the miles on my Jeep for fun time.

Like @Beatrice said, they're expensive. A single tire on my JK cost more than four tires on my Prius, to mention nothing of the cost savings in fuel and oil changes. I gave up daily driving my JK when I did the math and found that I could pay for a Prius' monthly payment in the gasoline saving alone, lol.

Additionally, as has been said, space. Despite owning a JK Unlimited, and in theory having more space, I can say the lack of privacy & security in any Jeep translates to a lack of usable storage. It's neither safe nor advisted to leave belongs in the Jeep when making quick errands. Constantly a worry about what to do with a work bag, etc., if I need to make a stop on the way to/from the office.

Like they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, well the same is true for our Jeeps. Relegating my JK to a "sometimes" vehicles makes those moments of usage far more enjoyable. Save yourself the headache and either wait or daily drive it just long enough to pay it off, and find another economical vehicle for your daily driver IMHO.
Thank you for all the info! You have definitely helped!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts