Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 tj with 135k miles is having trouble with cylinder misfires. I have put in new spark plugs, a new coil pack, 2 new fuel injectors (the old ones were cracked or just dead), and replaced the idle air control valve. The thing is still misfiring. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
How's your crankshaft position sensor? Mine messed up causing a codes for a cylinder 2 & 5 misfire codes and a multiple cylinder misfire code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't thought about that. I'll have to check it in the morning. It could need replaced. I just bought this jeep a few weeks ago as a project. Most everything under the hood is original. Sounds like you had the same problem I'm having. 2 & 5 are my issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep. That sounds familiar. I replaced plugs first, then the coil pack, then I had all of the fuel injectors tested and cleaned. Cleaned the throttle body, nothing did it. Did some google-fu and found a couple of threads here that pointed at the crank sensor. I went with a Mopar sensor, because I had seen on some other threads where people had problems with the aftermarket ones. It was kind of a pain to get to, since it's on the bell housing on my '02. But overall it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TDC? I'm a little new to working on vehicles. I also replaced the CAM sensor. When I pulled it out it was sludgy and missing pieces inside.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
TDC? I'm a little new to working on vehicles. I also replaced the CAM sensor. When I pulled it out it was sludgy and missing pieces inside.

Sorry--I screwed up my last post. CPS is requires nothing special. The CAM however, does need to be at TDC (Top dead center). It requires moving the crankshaft so piston number 1 is at its compression stroke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah I see. I did the cam after the cps and it seems to be doing fine for now. No CEL or misses in firing that I can tell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad you got her figured out! I had bought a cam sensor for mine in case the crank sensor didn't work. In my case I didn't need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts