Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: When I'm driving, especially when TJ is cold, second gear grinds. It's beyond noticeable. Jim&Sons Transmissions put in a new clutch saying that was the problem. It still grinds and may be a little worse. I took it back to the shop and they said "I can't get it to grind.":mad: Any idea what is wrong? I need help

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I start up my TJ after it's been out in the cold for a few hours, second gear will grind as I'm going into it. It's not a loud crunch or a whizzing noise. Once she's warmed up she shifts like butter. Could it just be from the cold? It never does it in summer time. If I need to get it moving before she's warmed up I'll usually "granny shift." start moving in first, push the clutch in, pull it out of first into neutral, release clutch, re-engage clutch, put it into second then release the clutch. There's usually no grind when I do that. Not sure if that helps at all but it's my OCD remedy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
2nd gear and popping out of reverse when its freekin' cold!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i haven't had it long enough for summer because it's my first car. I did however have new "thinner" transmission fluid put in it. Do your jeeps also feel like there are some bumps or something on the double-H? Like first and second seem to have some kind of bumps when halfway into gear. It isn't grinding though. Thanks for the advice I'll try double-clutching.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just hold in the clutch and move between first and second. And then try third and fourth. Not while driving/moving of course. I'm pretty sure theres something weird between 1st and 2nd. Maybe it's the shift boot which I know you can buy different ones.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Just shift slowly and let it slide into second. Your over riding the syncros which have not aligned them selves up dur to thicker oil when its cold.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are 2 boots the one that goes around the center console and one that is attached to the floor I just removed the one around the center console apparently it let's the shifter move around easier I'll post a pic later today

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I've had this problem since I got my jeep almost 4 years ago, and only in the cold weather.

If you can on colder mornings let the jeep run in nuetral with the e-brake on for 2-3 minutes before going any where and if your stoped at a light in the first 5-10 minutes of driving leave the transmission in nuetral and let the clutch out. This will continue to move the fluid in the transmission warming it up and making it easier to shift.

Another Suggestion would be when you shift into second keep firm pressuse on the shifter until your foot is off the clutch. Sometimes the syncros aren't lined up immediatly because of the cold and keeping pressure on it will help it into gear as things move around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see some mention running lighter gear oil for colder months. That is a good idea however you need to make sure you don't have a NV3550 transmission. The NV3550 requires you run Chryslers synchromesh oil or comparable and I believe that only comes in one weight.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Try switching the transmission gear lube to Redline MTL which is a synthetic 70W-80 that can help it to shift better in extremely cold weather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i haven't had it long enough for summer because it's my first car. I did however have new "thinner" transmission fluid put in it. Do your jeeps also feel like there are some bumps or something on the double-H? Like first and second seem to have some kind of bumps when halfway into gear. It isn't grinding though. Thanks for the advice I'll try double-clutching.
I think i get what you mean when i pull back into second it feels like you are hitting something it kinda wants to bounce away and if you let it you'll hear a grind.
I find that you just need to be a little more firm with your shift into second pull through and hold it there for a sec and that solves it for me

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do they make shift boots that are like a double H like old cars? Like this?

And I did order a new knob to fix the crooked problem

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
^^^ that's sexy..... Doubt they make them for our rides though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts