Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my uncle had a bunch of old cars and he gave me his old 97jeep tj 2.5l . Yay....Maybe.I've been fixing it up and cleaning everything up and today I took it for a test drive. I live in a VERY hilly area. We were going around my neighborhood and when we went up this one road in third gear it would not get to even twentymph. We floored it and the rpm didn't seem to even go up. I'm new to all this and was just seeing if this is normal? What should I look into? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I pulled codes and nothing came up. Only a 12 and 55 which if I'm not mistaken is when your battery was recently removed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds normal. The 2.5s are pretty underpowered.
This is not normal. 4 cylinders have plenty of power for getting around town. Hell if you're like me, the highways are fine too because I play nascar with all the larger cars by drafting off them. I can be one of the fastest vehicles on the highway by doing that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 2.5s like rpms so if you were lugging it it's not gonna speed up fast if any.. On average I shift my 2.5 at around 3k not saying there's not something wrong just saying these 2.5 don't do real well unless your high in the rpms

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is not normal. 4 cylinders have plenty of power for getting around town. Hell if you're like me, the highways are fine too because I play nascar with all the larger cars by drafting off them. I can be one of the fastest vehicles on the highway by doing that.
I know, highways are fine, I drive my 2.5 100 miles a day on highways. But OP was talking about hills. If you can do 30-40 mph in third gear up steep hills then you must have a magic Jeep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a question for those with the 2.5l. What is a normal gear to be in when driving around a hilly neiborhood. Is it normal to stall in third gear on a hill?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just a question for those with the 2.5l. What is a normal gear to be in when driving around a hilly neiborhood. Is it normal to stall in third gear on a hill?
Def not supposed to stall, but will slow down a bit. Also depends on how steep you're talking about? I live in Southern California near Laguna Beach, so there are some really steep, long hills so I'll be in 2nd for quite a long time sometimes. But otherwise I can cruise comfortably in 4th over rolling hilly roads.

May want to check your exhaust manifold, could be leaking. That will def suck power. Bit that's just a guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts