Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 TJ and want to install new front seats. Everywhere I look it says I have to purchase a separate seat bracket for TJ's. I read a couple of places that it is due to the change to metric beginning in '97. Several people mentioned they just re-tapped the threads. Can't new metric screws and bolts be used from the original risers/seats? If re-tapping, what actually gets re-tapped? I am already 6'4" and don't need the additional height (or cost) of a new bracket if I can just reuse the current one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
The seats generally come only as seats. Then you purchase the bracket (base for the seats) that the seats bolt onto and then the brackets are bolted to the floor. Your factory seats are the same way. Some call them brackets, some call them seat mechanism and some seat bases.

By using separate bases (brackets/mechanisms) they can use the same seats across a number of vehicles. Here is an example. Ignore the seat, and look at the brackets listed in the sidebar under the seat description. You will see they look just like what's under your current seat.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,823 Posts
You don't need new seat bases, you just need adapter brackets to mate the seats to the OE Jeep bases. My PRP seats use adapter brackets and are at the same height as my OEM seats were.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts