Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to stretch my tj what's a good length I've seen a lot that are 100 inches but I'm open to ideas

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Being a YJ and TJ are virtually the same WB, I always ran 112-115. But it really depends on your needs and where/how you wheel. The guys I ride with like hill climbs and they are 118-130, but they have to back up alot in the woods where I never had to.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
WHITE-TJ said:
Ok cool is there any reason to go under 100
There is no reason, if youre going to mess with all the things needed to stretch a TJ, youll want to go over 100"

The amount is up to you, and how far you want to cut, fab, weld and redesign your rig, front and back.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
Being a YJ and TJ are virtually the same WB, I always ran 112-115. But it really depends on your needs and where/how you wheel. The guys I ride with like hill climbs and they are 118-130, but they have to back up alot in the woods where I never had to.
x2

Im at 110" and thats going to be with 6" of tire sticking out beyond the tub. I would like to stretch the front about 3" but thats an animal within itself.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
^^^on your CJ? Yeah the steering is the main issue most of the time.
Yeah, its got a little stretch on the front, id like to have the tires just a pinch past the front bumper. Steering isnt an issue if you go full hydro :thumb:

One thing that helps is kingpins, and the fact I could run an astro van box which is flipped.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
I wasnt aware of the astrovan box but I know you can take most gearboxes apart and make them work backwards. We have done that several times down here.
The CJ has a huge PS gearbox on it, not sure of make or model.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As Ibuildembig said earlier you wanna build to your needs. What size tires are you gonna run? What sized lift? I stretched mine to 100"s for a total of 50 bucks in materials. Granted I already had a rough country long arm lift. I just used my rough country brackets and control arms and extended and sleeved the rears. Then I triangulated the uppers on a truss. The upper coil mounts on the frame I cut off, turned them around and placed them on opposite sides of the frame 6"s back. I also put my gas tank inside the tub. Normally for most rock crawling trails with loose rocks you want about 100"s with 35s and a 4" lift so your belly pan height isnt too low and you have a lower center of gravity for hill climbs. However if all your doing is hill climbs then 118 and a lower lift is what I would use. If your going 40s and rock crawling, then I would go 110" wb. Stretch it 12"s in the rear and 4"s in the front and have an approach angle of 0 f/r. Your talking alot of fab work at that point. Thats my 2cents, however I am still a newb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts