Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the upper bolt on my thermostat housing earlier today and was wondering if anyone knew the exact size they are? and what type I should get? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Personally for stuff like that I like to get the oem bolt from the dealer but I can be a little ocd lol

Take the broken parts to your local hardware store and match em up.... should be real easy...

Fwiw if the bolt threads properly into a x size nut then it is an x size bolt.... grade 5 will be fine.... this isn't something that needs to be real tight.

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
I just had the same thing happened to me and I went to the local hardware store and just got a bolt that matched and it works fine. No need for expensive stealership bolts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The delaers bolts aren't magical bolts, even if you went to the dealer chances are they would walk out to the shop & grab a new one out of the bolt bin. Take the other bolt & go to the hardware store.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Dealers don't have bolt bins... they have way overpriced individual bolts in plastic bags with part numbers....
As I said my reason for dealer bolts is just my ocd.... it just annoys me having mismatched hardware...

I told him to go to the hardware store n match em up
No need to keep harping on the dealer thing

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Dealers don't have bolt bins... they have way overpriced individual bolts in plastic bags with part numbers....
As I said my reason for dealer bolts is just my ocd.... it just annoys me having mismatched hardware...

I told him to go to the hardware store n match em up
No need to keep harping on the dealer thing
In the shop they have a bolt bin.
Buying 2 new bolts will take care of the OCD thing, which I get, btw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts