Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 2 weeks ago went offroading on a Jeep Trail near bye..had gone many times was more water this time than before a lil steep hill i have no prob making but before it this time was alot more water than i thought ..not enough to enter cab of stock size (2inch taller tires than stock though) but as i went up hill I started to lose power and chugged up the hill.
once i made it up hill the motor had about completly died from being "clogged" somewhere i guess... When I first Restarded the motor..it Rev-d it self up for a bit then stopped and seemed normal but sounded dif out of exhaust...was a popping sound and now 2 weeks later when i start it first of day only it seems to stall when i hit the gas then seems to push though whatever then seems to be running (normal)ish then rest of day dosnt do that when starting just first of day..but now is missing sometimes worse than others? (dont know why) , there abit of a chug i feel coming from exhaust or from it missing and the motor sounds just fine..but the motor through the exhaust now when i am driving seems to sound clogged a bit when i let loose of gas can feel and here it make a lot of popping (Rumble) sounds that was not there before..now sounds like a old truck with no exhaust..but i dont think there is much power loss just a lil sluggish, misses and sounds kinda stopped up?? i dont really know..it seems to have gotten better than it was at very first but is not getting any better now....I have changed the spark plugs and wires and have gone though 2 tanks of gas since and still is missing a lil..and dies when idle sometimes...all with "old muffler less truck" sound that it did not use to have...Sorry for bad descriptions i can prob describe things better if someone asks about certian thing..but REALLY NEED some Expert Jeep HELP..I am new to Jeeping and love it..just in a funk now cause of wht i trying to explain...(p.s. the muffler and exhaust is fully intact and air filter is fine....) THANK you ANY1 and can describe more just please ask I really need some help...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@banipal19 not sure on the codes havnt had it checked just yet....I thought it would go away but is staying same...

@ WalkingStick Sorry..Just Really Ticked and was typing away....Basically..the problem is 1st of day when i start motor takes awhile to finally start..Then when it starts when i press the gas it stalls for a second but as i continue to hold the peddle down it finally sounds like it "clears out" and then starts getting some flow and normalty going on(but with alot of the crackle and gurgle)...yet after first start of day all the other times i start that day (without waiting for a long time) will start fine and normal...
The engine sounds normal when im listening under hood but, through the exhaust it sounds really kinda "Gurgly" and clogged...as when i down shift the exhaust makes alot of that (Rumble/Gurgle) sound as if it is clogged or something??..and has a slight "put" sound to it as well..
as i drive it seems to miss (? oddly sometimes it dosnt ?) but usually does and when im shifting or just coasting it will die half the time..then i will start it up, its rite back up no prob...
I can be almost 100% sure the motor is fine but somthing else is really jacked up...not sure if its gas or exhaust issues or what..and as soon as i get a code I will def tell you all....Hope some1 can make sense out of this....

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
It sounds to me like it could be a catalytic converter issue. Did the check engine light come on? If it did, you need to go to autozone or something and get the diagnostic code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Dirk124 Actually the check engine light has been on in this Jeep for 6 years (my dad had first, i bought it 6 months ago.) (but didnt have any prob he even had it looked at fig it was just one of those things). ..but thanks good point i will take to AutoZone for sure and get it read...thanks for the advice...as said im a newbie..Thanks for idea!! and will do!.

·
Registered
280 Posts
there is a good chance that your catalytic converter imploded, which would cause all your problems that you describing, also sometime it will take a awhile before the CEL comes on because it doesn't sense anything wrong yet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Wolfsbone01 Im DEf gonna have a look at the catalytic converter then.THANKS for tip! u too Dirk....
can one tell by looking at it if its busted or would it be through code or having to actually have some1 or myself look inside it..???(im newbie) But sounds Reasonable that it could be the catalytic converter from what i have read ... thanks...if any1else has other thoughts please post..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds to me like it could be a catalytic converter issue. Did the check engine light come on? If it did, you need to go to autozone or something and get the diagnostic code.
Thanks Dirk124 I checked that at the AutoZone and said i had Multiple codes come up..as in mult miss-fires, 2 o2 censors, fuel injection issues, and exaust as well.....but guy at zone said could just be a simple censor or inj issues causing.. guess i need to take to garage and hope i dont get took..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damnit...IT TURNS out IS NOT THE CAT converter..just had it looked at....STILL ALL this IS a MYSTERY....Please any other ideas...??? Im at a total loss here...Went though water now missing..dont get it..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can you make a video of it and post it on YouTube? Video will definitely help!

·
Administrator
12,647 Posts
1st, in general, if anyone has an issue or problem with someone's post and can't figure out what they mean or what issue/problem they are trying to relate is, ask them to give more detail. Don't tell them to use better punctuation.

Now as for the issue at hand, could be a number of things. Check the 02's as stated, might just be a connection. When is the last time it had a tune up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally Got the Codes and Indeed the Guy at AutoZone Ran through it so quick cuz they where very busy i wasnt able to write all of them down...but yes I remeber for sure that he said(he wasnt much help, and didnt seem to like his job);Two 02 sensors, something bout fuel injection, ignition ?, and miss-fires on numbers 4 and some other # he murmered then said "could be just a sensor that could be all the problem" b4 he walked off just saying "take it to shop" not realizing im trying to do or learn alot myself cuz im not helpless although, ignorant on Jeeps for the time being..Thank all of you for your help..and I hope I can figure this out..Gonna go again tommorow get someone else and Write all the issues down exactly, (code and said problem) and bring back here..

The 02 sensor sounds very much like it could be it!! thank you i def give that a look and possible change..

Another Guy I had talked to on a certain other 4-the-love-of-jeeps.com and He wrote me this below all quoted from him and Like to get thought on this guys Ideas aswell..(although it could simply be the 02's instead)

"Hi Kyle,

When you have gone through a substantial amount of water or mud (and have
not completely hydro-locked the engine) it is a very good idea to drain and
refill (with the fresh recommended lubricants) all of the fluids from the
engine, transmission, transfer case, and both axles/differentials.

Also, if water or debris got into your intake and into the cylinders you
will need to pull all of the spark plugs, shoot a small amount of Marvels
Mystery Oil, or equivalent into the cylinders. Crank the engine (with all
spark plugs still out). Let sit for about an hour...then replace with new
appropriately gapped spark plugs.

Make sure all of your electronic/ignition parts are dry and well connected.

Your miss may be from a bent or burned valve as water in your engine can do
significant damage.

Try all of the things above and see if you get any improvement.

Hope this helps some Kyle.

Larry"

@4Jeepn: Thank you and Great Points on sensors and tune up!....Im sure it has been atleast 10years without tuneup and its at 107,000 miles on orig motor..

any more Ideas or breakthoughs are more than welcome..and thanks again to all for help already! to All of U. I def report back if anything happens..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.