Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be visiting Boise during the solar eclipse weekend and am hoping to use our Jeep Rubicon to get to a viewing spot in the path of totality. looking at the maps I see a lot of forest roads off hwy 55. also considering the big meadows around Stanley or areas on hwy 75 or 21. Any local advice, recommendations on trails in those areas with open spaces for viewing is appreciated. Remote camping with fewer people is ideal. (we are "leave no trace" jeepers) Thanks for your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I are looking for the same kind of trails to go exploring this weekend as well... I've been to the sawtooth forest before, around baumgartner campground. I'll check back in when I find some good spots. Feel free to PM or email me if you want to chat more. [email protected]

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
Baumgartner is in the hills and the road is closed just beyond. If you come from the Ketchum side down Warm Springs it is also closed about 7 miles from Baldy. You can go north of Fairfield and over Couch but you are once again in the hills. Boise has 99.6% eclipse and you can be on top of the hills but then are limited to camping. Wish you both the best. We are going to be on the Oregon Trail just east of Boise at Bonneville Point if interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
success!

We were successful in finding a good spot to observe the eclipse. Turns out that we ended up on the centerline of the eclipse and didn't know it until about an hour before the eclipse started. Took FS 555 off the Banks Lowman road in the Boise Nat'l Forest. Beautiful area especially as we got near Scott peak with lupine, fireweed and other wildflowers blooming. there were no traffic issues on highway 21 - -guess the newscasters scared the crowds away. Hope you all had a great wheeling eclipse!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts