Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is:

Situation: I bought a 1989 Jeep Wrangler for $800. Knowing that it needed a slave cylinder replacement I later found that the engine, which also needed some carburetor work is a Chevy 4.20 Liter straight six also had two cylinders which were pushing 80 lbs. PSI The engine is not the original which is definite. The transmission according to the mechanic appears to be the original.

I took it into the shop to have the carburetor adjusted and the transmission looked at because I was having trouble shifting into gear. The clutch pedal, to the hydraulic clutch had to be pushed all the way to the floor in order to shift. I mean all the way to the floor. When I was test driving the Jeep and noticed the seller stated that it was because it was a hydraulic clutch and that it need to have the slave cylinder replaced.

Problem: Since the repair the Jeep has blown two slave cylinders since repair. Any future replacements would more than likely result in the same result

The mechanic who I believe to be experienced and reputable had to replace the clutch plate because it was worn to the rivets replaced the slave as well. The mechanic is by himself and cannot figure out why this is happening. So far he has stood behind his work but cannot figure out what keeps breaking the slaves.

Another statement from the mechanic was that he had replaced the exact same slave cylinder and transmission master cylinder. All of the parts matched up exactly but after they replaced it they could not get it to go in gear. He extended the master cylinder push rod by a sixteenth of an inch which enabled them to get it into get. Before that after replacing the master and slave cylinder they could not get it to shift into gear at at all. After the extension of “1/16” inch it now blows the slave.

Other stuff and thoughts which may be helpful:

Could the engine which is not the original have an affect on this difference of 1/16-1/32 of an inch?

One forum suggests that the slave is being over extended which appears to be the current situation which sounds good but why wouldn’t it go into gear in the after replacement?

Note: Not trying to confuse the issue but the guy who sold the Jeep stated that he did replace the clutch plate once before which may means to me that he did get into the transmission at least once.

Solution: Looking for suggestions. The mechanic is planning to reduced the plunger rod by 1/32” of an inch to see if that will make a difference but I told him to hold off until we see if anyone else knows what may be going on.
There are some issues identifying just what engine we are dealing with as well but I have some other questions out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 93 Wrangler and had the same problems. After the 2nd time this happened the mechanic I took it to said one of his parts suppliers was having problems with deffective parts comming, ironically, from a company called Perfection who was outsourcing to a manufacturer form possibly China. My mechanic used another supplier and so far no problems. His supplier said the deffective parts typically go out around 2,000-3,000 mi, which is when mine went out again. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I get way past the 3,000 mi mark. Good luck I know it can be frustrating to go through.

·
Registered
223 Posts
when i read this, my 1st thought is that the flywheel has been turned a few times and now needs a shim, but the only way to tell is to measure the thickness of the flywheel and compare it to stock. defective parts definitively can cause issues, i have never found extending the clutch rod to be a successful in devour. since the engine was swapped the flywheel might be wrong, if you were to remove the transmission what i would do is this... with the flywheel,clutch,pressure plate installed measure from the block to the fingers of the pressure plate then measure from the trans bellhousing to the face of the throw out bearing. your mechanic should be able to tell if those measurements are accurate.. i would bet that either the flywheel needs to be shimmed or you need a different clutch,pressure plate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts