Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am hoping I can get some guidance. I have searched the forums and have done some of the things but still cant find the problem.
My Jeep was turning off about 3 seconds after turning on yesterday. I did a little research and changed the jeep battery (Found some corrosive on it so decided to replace it) changed the ignition off draw fuse and changed the battery to the key remote. Nothing has helped. It actually doesn't turn on anymore but all lights do including the security little red dot. I am limited on funds so I am trying to find a solution to be able to do myself before heading to a shop or dealer. What else could it be? Thanks in advance!

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Hello. I am hoping I can get some guidance. I have searched the forums and have done some of the things but still cant find the problem.
My Jeep was turning off about 3 seconds after turning on yesterday. I did a little research and changed the jeep battery (Found some corrosive on it so decided to replace it) changed the ignition off draw fuse and changed the battery to the key remote. Nothing has helped. It actually doesn't turn on anymore but all lights do including the security little red dot. I am limited on funds so I am trying to find a solution to be able to do myself before heading to a shop or dealer. What else could it be? Thanks in advance!

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Welcome to WF!
I believe it may be your key or SKIM. Do you have a second key to try? Google Jeep SKIM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I do not have 2nd key as it did not come with it. I didnt purchase off a dealer. I will do some more research on the SKIM and see what I come up with. A lot of people are telling me it might be the starter or the alternator. Not sure but still trying to find a mechanic to come check it out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me once. I disconnected the battery for a minute and put the cable back on. I know you said you replaced your battery and that should have done it unless you just stuck in any old battery instead of the actual one needed for the jeep. The computers in these new vehicles are a pain and need the right amount of juice to operate correctly

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Thank you! I do not have 2nd key as it did not come with it. I didnt purchase off a dealer. I will do some more research on the SKIM and see what I come up with. A lot of people are telling me it might be the starter or the alternator. Not sure but still trying to find a mechanic to come check it out. Thanks again.
I do not think a starter or alternator issue would allow you to start it up and then kill the engine. To me this sound like the a SKIM or Key issue. Good luck. Lots of great folks here to help if you have questions. Try to gather as much info as possible and we all will try our best to help. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the mechanic check it already and it's definitely not the alternator or starter. He is saying the alarm is activated. Trying to figure out how to fix it. I don't have a spare key so that doesn't help me. I will keep looking around and see if I can find a solution. I put a brand new battery from advanced Auto parts. I will try disconnecting again and see if it works. Thanks everyone. I will get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to WF!
I believe it may be your key or SKIM. Do you have a second key to try? Google Jeep SKIM.
Do you know if making an extra key with a locksmith instead of the dealer would be ok? I am still having issues and it might be cheaper to have a locksmith come over to make a key instead of towing it to the dealer?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
The locksmith can cut the key but the dealer will have to program it as they are a chipped key.
If you had 2 keys you could program it yourself but with only one you need to go to a dealer.

NOT TRUE

A locksmith with the right computer can cut and program a key. They must have the Jeep however. They cannot do it without the Jeep.

I had a third key cut for my TJ (same exact SKIM system as the JK). You can go with a plain grey chipped key which will start and run the Jeep or the large fob head with the remote buttons. The remote buttons may need to be programmed by the dealer.

The remote module and the SKIM module are separate, but a key can fail both. Had a friend call me in a panic when his key totally quit and I had his spare. It would not unlock the door, and when he unlocked manually, it would not allow the engine to run. Had to get the spare to him and he then had a plain grey key done by a local locksmith as the Ram 2500 did not have an alarm.

The indicator for the SKIM is a red light above and to the right of the fuel gauge. When turning on the ignition, it should come on for about 3 seconds. If it stays on after that, it is an indication that the key in the ignition is not recognized. It will allow the Jeep's engine to be started, but then very shortly dies. That is the normal operation.

Your best option is to call around and find a locksmith who will come out and can cut and program a full feature key. One step down from that is the grey head key without the remote lock/unlock feature. However, you then must manually lock the Jeep. If you use the door button to activate the electric locks, you also activate the security system (alarm) which will sound when you use the key to manually unlock the door. Even starting the engine will not silence the alarm.

The third alternative is to have it towed to a dealer and have them cut and program a key. Prices vary from $150 to $250 depending on the dealer. (Plus the towing charge of course).

Hindsight is always 20/20. For those reading this thread and only have one key - warning - those keys do fail, and only having one is playing Russian Roulette with driving the Jeep.

I watched the locksmith do my key. He needed to see my registration (VIN no) and my DL (to make sure I was the person named on the registration) and then he handed the DL back to me and kept the registration while he made a phone call to get the code to program the key. Then he cut the key, got out his computer and we went out to the Jeep. He plugged the computer into the OPDII port, turned the new key in the ignition on and went through the programming steps. His first try was not successful as the Jeep started and died. His second try was successful and that key is now the primary backup key. All told I was there about 45 minutes and consider the $71 charge reasonable.

Early JKs that had half doors or manual locks on full doors came with that same grey key that had been used on the TJs. Later they went to the larger black plastic head but with no buttons. Either key will work the Sentry Key Immobilization Module (SKIM).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I towed it to an auto shop yesterday (Who programs keys too) and they said that because the jeep was attempted to turn on a lot it most likely locked or unprogrammed my key. They advised the first thing we can do is make a brand new key and see if it works. if it does not most likely the module got damaged as well. They will be making me the new key today. Will see how this goes.

thanks to all that responded! its much appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts