Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both a Jeep wrangler 2 door and a chevy silverado ext cab 4x4. And me and some friends where mudding this weekend, but the thing that got me was that the truck has smaller tires(30s on a 15'' rims) and less clearance than the Jeep(32s on 17'' rims) and it weighs WAY more than the Jeep, yet it still had no trouble dealing with whatever I through at it... While I took the Jeep through the exact same stuff, it was strugging the whole way, and grounded out serval times... What is going on exactly??? In the sand the Jeep out does my truck hands down, but when it comes to mud it seems my truck rules the battlefield. What exactly did I miss?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
maybe the wheelbase? having a longer wheelbase sometimes you've got at least one axle in a spot w/decent traction.

both vehicles had mud tires right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its the wheel base and how big are your wheel wells? That has a lot to do with it in my experience. If you have more horsepower and a big wheel well, you would get through most terrain in no time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe the wheelbase? having a longer wheelbase sometimes you've got at least one axle in a spot w/decent traction.

both vehicles had mud tires right?
yes, but the chevy has an LSD, could it really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have both a Jeep wrangler 2 door and a chevy silverado ext cab 4x4. And me and some friends where mudding this weekend, but the thing that got me was that the truck has smaller tires(30s on a 15'' rims) and less clearance than the Jeep(32s on 17'' rims) and it weighs WAY more than the Jeep, yet it still had no trouble dealing with whatever I through at it... While I took the Jeep through the exact same stuff, it was strugging the whole way, and grounded out serval times... What is going on exactly??? In the sand the Jeep out does my truck hands down, but when it comes to mud it seems my truck rules the battlefield. What exactly did I miss?
I have 2010 Chevrolet Silverado ext. cab. 4x4 Z71 and 2012 JKUR. It could be the longer wheel base of truck in mud that helps. I only drive in mud when there is on other way, I get tired of removing the mud from under the truck or jeep. I have a FourWheel Camper on the truck and it can go off road. But the Jeep is much better off road than the truck and because of its size can fit on narrow 4x4 roads.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Its the power difference and the lsd. Im guessing you dont have a locker or lsd in your jeep. So with open differentials when you put it in 4wd only 1 rear tire and 1 front tire are spinning. The lsd will spin both tires as long as theres both tires are on the ground which will result in more traction so it does help out that much if you had the rubi and locked the front and rear theres no way that pickup could go through what you did. Also the chevy does have more power so it can really whip that mud out of the tread so that tire can keep biting at the mud.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill bet you the Chevy can spin the tires faster do they clean out. Jeeps aren't exactly power houses.
I've had issues with the tires caking on me before, but ya, I was hard on the gas this time around, had mud ontop of the cab and all in the bed... plus like 3'' in the fender wells...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its the wheel base and how big are your wheel wells? That has a lot to do with it in my experience. If you have more horsepower and a big wheel well, you would get through most terrain in no time.
why would the wheel wells of the truck make a difference in the way it preformes? I could fit a 33 in it with no rubbing... no problem, maybe just a leveling kit(it has a bad rake because of the air springs and overload shocks...) for some extra in the front, but they'd still fit without it

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Interesting that there is another thread with some talk about how the Jeep may prevent wheelspin, even w/lockers if exceeding 18 mph. I know I'd like to have control over whether I get a lot of wheelspin or use the BLD instead.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting that there is another thread with some talk about how the Jeep may prevent wheelspin, even w/lockers if exceeding 18 mph. I know I'd like to have control over whether I get a lot of wheelspin or use the BLD instead.
does it have to do with that ESP or something? I heard that's supose to limit the wheel spin of the jeep, that's why I trun it off when going off road... it helps a little, just dont help when your tires arent touching the ground :banghead::facepalm:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Maybe some vehicles will be having a recall on this issue. I have read this on another post here, this one, and on another website. Seems like an electronic governing issue. The 2012 definitely has power.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
In the sand the Jeep out does my truck hands down, but when it comes to mud it seems my truck rules the battlefield. What exactly did I miss?
That seems odd to me because sand and mud have similar characteristics for driving.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
In mud you need to dig for traction, sand you want to dig as little as possible and just go over it...
That's assuming you have a solid bottom in the mud to dig to, otherwise you just dig yourself down. In either terrain, you need wheel spin and momentum.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's assuming you have a solid bottom in the mud to dig to, otherwise you just dig yourself down. In either terrain, you need wheel spin and momentum.
O yes, I have no problem with hitting things with momentum :rofl:

thats also why I have dents in the side of my truck :banghead: tires slide in slick sh!t, and they have slid me right into a tree before :banghead::banghead::banghead:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts