Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the 75th anniversary edition Wrangler on March 25th, 2016. Got the PO300 (multiple cylinder misfires) code on July 25th, 2016. Took it in to my dealer and they said it was nothing and reprogrammed my Powertrain Control Module to get rid of the code. Since the Jeep was so new I didn't think much of it at the time.

Cut to a couple weeks ago. Check engine light comes on out of the blue. Engine starts idling really irregularly. I go to My local shop and they are too busy to look at the Jeep but they run codes for me. I get Misfire code again. So I take it straight to the Local Jeep Dealer. It literally dies and I coast into the driveway. I get it fired up again after a bit and crawl into the shop. I leave it there to get diagnosed. I figure I have a couple bad spark plugs or something, which would be weird because they are not supposed to be changed until 100k, but funnier things have happened.

About a week later they call me out of the blue and with no explanation start telling me I need to replace the entire long block. Cost is around 8,500. My head nearly explodes. I tell them I am in the middle of something (I was at the hospital for my daughter so this was the last call I needed at that moment) and I need to call them back. I go into the Jeep Dealer the next day to find out what is going on. Two of the cylinders are losing about 30% of their pressure. Whole engine needs to be replaced. At first they are trying to tell me it's just normal wear and tear. I put an end to that train of thought real quick and they change their tune and agree with me. I forgot to mention the kicker. There are only 42k miles on the Jeep. I have had regular oil changes and air filter replacements since I bought it brand new. The best part is the powertrain warranty ran out five years after purchase on March 25, 2021. Approximately one month before the engine gave out.

I am now dealing with Jeep Corporate and trying to get them to cover the expenses. They are asking me to come up with every single receipt I have for maintenance since I bought the Jeep. So I have called every shop I ever dealt with for oil changes, brakes, etc. and got everything emailed to me. What a pain. I am only waiting on one invoice from a shop I only went to once. What do you guys think? Does it seem normal to have to replace an entire engine with only 42k on it? I really hope that Jeep does the right thing here. This is actually the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought in my entire life. I really loved the Jeep while it was running. It was always my dream to own one. Our other truck is a 99 Tahoe. That one still has the original engine and it's going strong. I really can't believe that I am dealing with this and that it's even a question as to whether Jeep is going to replace this engine for me on their dime. Seems like it's the least they could do for selling me a Jeep with a bad engine. I guess we will find out soon whether they have a customer for life or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If an engine fails after warranty no real reason jeep should replace it

Don’t understand basis for your claim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you think it is perfectly normal for an engine to give out at 42K miles on a vehicle produced in 2016? How about to show good customer service? I'm sure you would change your toon real quick if it happened to you.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
Bad things happen but honorable people don’t try to place cost of their misfortune on others they just man up and deal with it

Which is what I would do
I grow weary of those who always expect someone to shoulder their burdens

Freedom requires responsibility and accountability but our current population seem to accept neither which is very unfortunate

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought the 75th anniversary edition Wrangler on March 25th, 2016. Got the PO300 (multiple cylinder misfires) code on July 25th, 2016. Took it in to my dealer and they said it was nothing and reprogrammed my Powertrain Control Module to get rid of the code. Since the Jeep was so new I didn't think much of it at the time.

Cut to a couple weeks ago. Check engine light comes on out of the blue. Engine starts idling really irregularly. I go to My local shop but they are too busy to look at the Jeep but they run codes for me. I get Misfire code again. So I take it straight to the Local Jeep Dealer. It literally dies and I coast into the driveway. I get it fired up again after a bit and crawl into the shop. I leave it there to get diagnosed. I figure I have a couple bad spark plugs or something.

About a week later they call me out of the blue and with no explanation start telling me I need to replace the entire long block. Cost is around 8,500. My head nearly explodes. I tell them I am in the middle of something (I was at the hospital for my daughter so this was the last call I needed at that moment) and I need to call them back. I go into the Jeep Dealer the next day to find out what is going on. Two of the cylinders are losing about 30% of their pressure. Whole engine needs to be replaced. At first they are trying to tell me it's just normal wear and tear. I put an end to that train of thought real quick and they change their tune and agree with me. I forgot to mention the kicker. There are only 42k miles on the Jeep. I have had regular oil changes and air filter replacements since I bought it brand new. The best part is the powertrain warranty ran out five years after purchase on March 25, 2021. Approximately one month before the engine gave out.

I am now dealing with Jeep Corporate and trying to get them to cover the expenses. They are asking me to come up with every single receipt I have for maintenance since I bought the Jeep. So I have called every shop I ever dealt with for oil changes, brakes, etc. and got everything emailed to me. What a pain. I am only waiting on one invoice from a shop I only went to once. What do you guys think? Does it seem normal to have to replace an entire engine with only 42k on it? I really hope that Jeep does the right thing here. This is actually the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought in my entire life. I really loved the Jeep while it was running. Our other truck is a 99 Tahoe. That one still has the original engine and it's going strong. I really can't believe that I am dealing with this and that it's even a question as to whether Jeep is going to replace this engine for me on their dime. Seems like it's the least they could do for selling me a Jeep with a bad engine. I guess we will find out soon whether they have a customer for life or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad things happen but honorable people don’t try to place cost of their misfortune on others they just man up and deal with it

Which is what I would do
I grow weary of those who always expect someone to shoulder their burdens

Freedom requires responsibility and accountability but our current population seem to accept neither which is very unfortunate

A Jeep Engine (or any engine on any car or truck for that matter) should last well past 42k miles. Period. No excuses. It is obviously shoddy production on this particular engine that I was unlucky enough to have put in my Wrangler. They should stand behind their product and not produce engines that fail miserably after such a short time. You can think what you want. Stick up for a giant corporation that made a bad engine and sold it to me if that makes you feel better about yourself. Have a good one.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
You could do labor yourself and save probably 1/2 the cost and get a local shop to rebuild yours or another core and save even more

Or demand someone else shoulder the responsibility

Warranty terms are what they say not what you think they should say

I remember loss of a young naval aviator who failed to do a proper preflight on an occasion when a valve failed and only one wing tip tank filed on his T2 trainer. Now one could argue that it wasn’t his fault the valve failed but he is still just as dead. Life ain’t always fair but true men deal as best they can and don’t just whine and try to shift their misfortune onto others and to suggest I would or should is just flat wrong

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could do labor yourself and save probably 1/2 the cost and get a local shop to rebuild yours or another core and save even more

Or demand someone else shoulder the responsibility

Warranty terms are what they say not what you think they should say

I remember loss of a young naval aviator who failed to do a proper preflight on an occasion when a valve failed and only one wing tip tank filed on his T2 trainer. Now one could argue that it wasn’t his fault the valve failed but he is still just as dead. Life ain’t always fair but true men deal as best they can and don’t just whine and try to shift their misfortune onto others and to suggest I would or should is just flat wrong

Are you trying to tell me I'm not a real man? Jesus buddy. You seriously have some issues. Jeep produced a bad engine. It probably doesn't happen that often. But it happened in this instance. Nobody would ever buy a new car if they expected the engine would need to be replaced at 42k miles. Literally nobody. Go troll someone else.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Clearly an engine should last longer, and the vast majority of them do. I don’t know why yours failed, and without knowing that I can’t blame FCA.
I would suggest talking to FCA, and see if they will help you out. I would be nice to them about this, since you are trying to get them to do you a favor.
Good luck with this. Would you like your duplicate thread deleted or merged into this one?

·
Registered
2010 JK
352 Posts
Are you trying to tell me I'm not a real man? Jesus buddy. You seriously have some issues. Jeep produced a bad engine. It probably doesn't happen that often. But it happened in this instance. Nobody would ever buy a new car if they expected the engine would need to be replaced at 42k miles. Literally nobody. Go troll someone else.
I'd just ignore the dude. I don't know what the **** goes on in his head where an engine giving out at 42k miles after the dealer repeatedly ignored the issue and did a band-aid fix is some sort of lesson on manhood.

·
Premium Member
9,562 Posts
42K is not even close to a point I would ever expect an engine to fail. You have the initial problem documented back it 2016. Considering this is the same problem they did not fix it correctly. I think you have a case and hopefully they will take care of you. It sound like you have a record of everything just stick with it. Also get JeepCares involved. This is an expensive enough issue that I would even take it to court to get it resolved. In this day and age engine last well over 100K miles if not 200K miles. To have one fail at 42K miles is a materials or workmanship issues.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love my Wranglers and have had good luck with them. I can’t imagine Jeep not providing some goodwill relief for you, especially if there isn’t more to the story. Any modern engine should obviously last a lot longer than 5 years / 42K miles. The 3.6 has been a really solid motor in a lot of applications. Maybe @JeepCares will contact you here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clearly an engine should last longer, and the vast majority of them do. I don’t know why yours failed, and without knowing that I can’t blame FCA.
I would suggest talking to FCA, and see if they will help you out. I would be nice to them about this, since you are trying to get them to do you a favor.
Good luck with this. Would you like your duplicate thread deleted or merged into this one?
Yeah I am currently dealing with the FCA. That is who was asking for all the invoices. If they take care of me they will have a lifelong coustomer. If not then I will move on to another brand obviously.
Sorry about the duplicate thread. After I put it up initially I thought maybe I posted it in the wrong place. You can merge it to whichever is the better location.

Thanks
that totally sucks, i always expect nothing but the shaft at a dealership, even under warranty they will screw something up
I am dealing with the FCA now. I am hoping for the best. But as it stands now I am already out two weeks without a vehicle. That in itself is ridiculous.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love my Wranglers and have had good luck with them. I can’t imagine Jeep not providing some goodwill relief for you, especially if there isn’t more to the story. Any modern engine should obviously last a lot longer than 5 years / 42K miles. The 3.6 has been a really solid motor in a lot of applications. Maybe @JeepCares will contact you here.
Ha Ha. I loved this one as well up until two weeks ago. I hope they go beyond just a little Goodwill and take care of the issue completely. There is nothing more to the story. Regularly scheduled oil changes. Was not super hard on the car as the mileage would show. I think it was just a fluke in manufacturing and I am hopping they will stand behind their product.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I am currently dealing with the FCA. That is who was asking for all the invoices. If they take care of me they will have a lifelong coustomer. If not then I will move on to another brand obviously.
Sorry about the duplicate thread. After I put it up initially I thought maybe I posted it in the wrong place. You can merge it to whichever is the better location.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Obviously an engine should not fail at 42k miles. That said, your warranty has expired so Jeep is not obligated to replace your engine. But given the low mileage and the fact that the warranty expired only a month before the failure, you may well persuade Jeep to help you out. On any event, what you’re dealing with sucks. I certainly would be upset if I were in your shoes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your engine should most certainly last for for more than 42k miles. Get FCA involved, pretty sure they will throw you some good will, all of it probably not. Good luck, Lee.
thanks. I'm dealing with them for the last week. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: HardSell

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Obviously an engine should not fail at 42k miles. That said, your warranty has expired so Jeep is not obligated to replace your engine. But given the low mileage and the fact that the warranty expired only a month before the failure, you may well persuade Jeep to help you out. On any event, what you’re dealing with sucks. I certainly would be upset if I were in your shoes.
I know they are not obligated to but there is a right thing to do, and a wrong thing to do, and I think we all know what the right thing to do is in this instance.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.