Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 16yr old driving a 350z pulled into my lane and hit my front right wheel/tire going less than 5mph as he was braking when he saw me last second. The only visual damage is the center cap is destroyed and a few gouges and scratches. His car had more damage.

It drives straight and the only other thing is the steering wheel is not centered but I center it all the time using the drag link.

So my question is what else might I be concerned about.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would have the tie rod, draglink, ball joints and the Ujoint checked.

·
Administrator
42,603 Posts
I would have the tie rod, draglink, ball joints and the Ujoint checked.
This, plus the inner axle shaft.

I'd take it in to get the alignment checked. It will tell you about most of the things that could have been damaged.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
The close up of your lift spring looks slightly askew. Anyone else see it? Maybe shifted your axle a bit.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Don't forget the diminished value, you're Jeep will always be tagged as having been in an accident, that will steer a number of potential buyers away from it.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Call me "Paranoid" but I would take it to a bodyshop/ adjuster. Kinda like if you aren't sure if you are "okay" you go to the DR to get "checked out"....biggest difference..it won't cost anything to get the Jeep checked out. Good Luck...glad you weren't hurt.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Wheel rim is bent as well. Look at the picture of the rim at about the 2 o'clock position. Right next to the valve stem. It looks bent in.

·
Banned
85 Posts
If the Op is insured, he needs to do his research and take his Jeep TO THE BEST BODY SHOP / FRAME REPAIR SHOP IN THE AREA.

Do not allow the insurance company to pick a shop. Do not take your Jeep to the insurance company's adjuster. Take it to the repair shop YOU choose and tell the insurance company where it is.

It is far easier for an experienced repair man to discuss/argue the low ball estimate from the insurance adjuster than the insured.

P.S.: I loved the part about the steering wheel being misaligned as the only other thing wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be taking measurements side to side. Even a minor tweet to the suspension can bend something. Use your frame as a reference point to the suspension items that may have been bent and take a good look at the steering knuckles for any flaking of metal where the tie rods mount.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Don't forget the diminished value, you're Jeep will always be tagged as having been in an accident, that will steer a number of potential buyers away from it.
Not to take away from OP, but we're currently in a Diminished Value "battle" with the insurance company of someone who caused our fender bender... long-story-short: Insurance company low-balled us 2x and then quit communicating, we are now taking insured to court for negligent property damage in hope of getting insurance company back into talks with us.

back to OP: Do some research and file a DV claim to get at least something, assuming the other driver was at fault.

The other driver's insurance company should pay to have your Jeep properly inspected for any damage to the front axle. You shouldn't have to pay a penny.

·
Registered
91 Posts
membrain - did you have a DV 3rd party look at your vehicle? I used Collisionclaims.com; there is also diminishedvalueofgeorgia.com (probably only for GA). There is an online calculator as well, but I can't remember the site off hand.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
what is a 16yr old doing driving a 350z
I had an 03 350z when I was 18, first car I bought and paid for 100% myself. I bought mine for $14k and it would do 167. they really were great cars.

it is because of this that they rank #1 deadliest car in America. my insurance went from $120 a month to $80 when I traded it in for a brand new JK.

the "accident" was only at 5mph? I hit trees harder than that on the trail, just make him buy you a new center cap and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
membrain - did you have a DV 3rd party look at your vehicle? I used Collisionclaims.com; there is also diminishedvalueofgeorgia.com (probably only for GA). There is an online calculator as well, but I can't remember the site off hand.
Yes, I actually chose a couple to balance out my concerns, but ended up going with one I liked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts