Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep won't start, it won't crank over. It makes a clicking sound when I turn the key, I have plenty of battery power so think it's my starter. I reset the WCM just in case but that didn't help it crank over. I had it towed to my local Jeep dealership, we'll see what happens this week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My 14 would not start Christmas eve morning, I drove it the night before with no issues. I just clicked when i went to start it. I through a jump box on it and it started right up, drove it for an hour and turned it off. When i tried to restart it, it was dead again. I put the jump box back on and it started up so i went to a battery shop and got a 800cca battery and all is well now. These batteries they make today must really suck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
How do you know? Did you load test the battery to make sure it's not failing/failed?
I put my $$ on the battery, which are junk.
Give us a report on what the dealer says.
Yea when mine was dead several days ago, the inside and outside lights all fired up good and had juice, just not enough to kick it over

·
Registered
94 Posts
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Literally walked into a store and came back out 5 minutes later and it wouldn't start. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I immediately assumed the worst.
Jumped it off and went to an auto parts store for them to test it and they're reading showed it was fine. Happened again the next morning. Went and bought a new battery and been fine every since then. Goes those testers aren't always 100% accurate...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this sort of thing happen to me several months ago. i went out to start my jeep and when i put the key in, all the normal lights came on like normal, but when i tried to turn it over, everything went off/black. when i pulled the key out, i could still here some relays clicking for some reason which was very odd... i tried to jump it and it seemed to work, but a minute later, it died... i did some research and it appears strange things can happen in the electrical system when the battery voltage gets too low. i replaced my battery with one from Napa, and it's been perfect since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Happened to me on Thanksgiving. Went wheeling alone, got stuck, winched myself out, found some guys who pulled me out earlier and shut the engine off to have a beer with them. Tried to turn it back on afterwards and no click. Lights and everything else was fine. Once we jumped it I was back on the road and went straight home lol.

A couple days later though same thing, I had to replace my starter. Not sure why my starter died.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my Jeep back last night and now she runs great. You guys were right, it was the battery, no other issues. The old battery had enough power to run the lights, radio, and things like that but not enough for the starter to crank the engine. The old battery was leaking and failed the load test.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What is the expected lifespan of the factory battery?
My 12 battery lasted less than four years in hot AZ. I didn't drive it for a week and it was so dead the door wouldn't even unlock with the fob. I charged it for couple of hours and it started right up. Got a new one that day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 14 would not start Christmas eve morning, I drove it the night before with no issues. I just clicked when i went to start it. I through a jump box on it and it started right up, drove it for an hour and turned it off. When i tried to restart it, it was dead again. I put the jump box back on and it started up so i went to a battery shop and got a 800cca battery and all is well now. These batteries they make today must really suck.
Check your cramshaft position sensor. For some 2014 models, the cramshaft position sensor was screwed up, so sometimes the jeep doesn't start right away or doesn't even start. I just brought it into my dealer to get it replaced under warranty. It starts fine now.

Check your cramshaft position sensor under the engine cover, left top side. If the first letter is a "D," then you should really get the cramshaft position sensor replaced.

This happened to some 2014 models.

Checkout one of my threads, I asked a similar question and a guy posted a service bulletin. Print it out and bring it to your dealer...otherwise they will say your jeep is fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check your cramshaft position sensor. For some 2014 models, the cramshaft position sensor was screwed up, so sometimes the jeep doesn't start right away or doesn't even start. I just brought it into my dealer to get it replaced under warranty. It starts fine now.

Check your cramshaft position sensor under the engine cover, left top side. If the first letter is a "D," then you should really get the cramshaft position sensor replaced.

This happened to some 2014 models.

Checkout one of my threads, I asked a similar question and a guy posted a service bulletin. Print it out and bring it to your dealer...otherwise they will say your jeep is fine.

What the heck is a "cramshaft" ?
At first I thought you mean camshaft, but the cr got me to wondering if you mean Crankshaft.
Its just a typo either way, but which do you mean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I don't know my parts yet! This is from a member of WranglerForum, SportX; he gave me this: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1805414.pdf Print it out, and bring it to your dealer.
I had this same issue on my 2014. Brought back to the dealer and was told they couldn't recreate the issue. Then saw this post with the service bulletin and gave to the dealer and sure enough the part needed replacing. Thankfully I found the post in this site or who knows of it would've ever been caught/fixed

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I don't know my parts yet! This is from a member of WranglerForum, SportX; he gave me this: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1805414.pdf Print it out, and bring it to your dealer.
I had this same issue on my 2014. Brought back to the dealer and was told they couldn't recreate the issue. Then saw this post with the service bulletin and gave to the dealer and sure enough the part needed replacing. Thankfully I found the post in this site or who knows of it would've ever been caught/fixed
Exactly, luckily it was fixed and is fine now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts