Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 2dr rubicon. Drove it to the mall, parked it, nothing suspicious. Come back out 20 minutes later and stick the key in, all the normal things happen, dinging, dash lights come on etc. Turn it to run, and nothing happens, no clicking, no whining, just nothing. Checked and made sure it was in park, shut all the doors and fuel cap securely, no dice. Go to lock the doors and go back inside to wait for a tow truck, the remote door locks don't work now. Changed the battery in that, still not working. Had a mobile mechanic come out, he banged around on it for about half an hour, but wouldn't hook up to the computer to see if there was an error code. I'm thinking the free consultation didn't include an answer to my problem.
So here I am. I used my free tow from Geico to get it home. Next one costs. They would only tow home or to the nearest stealership. Hoping it's something ridiculous, but I'm baffled.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Did you check the battery? Did you try to jump start it?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
You said " changed the battery in that"--do you mean the key fob or the Jeep?

A dead battery in Jeep could do that. It takes a lot less juice to run the idiot lights than it does to turn over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, tried a jump start, and changed he battery in the key fob. Also radio and windows are all working.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Yep, tried a jump start, and changed he battery in the key fob. Also radio and windows are all working.
Those could continue to work on a battery too weak to turn the engine over. It didn't start with the jump? That would lead me to believe it's an issue with the starter, possibly the solenoid. An old trick is to tap it with a wrench while cranking.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Check the wiring to the starter; if that's good, tap the starter while trying to crank.
Check your battery cables; they can sulfate and crack from the inside. Check grounds. Check fuses.
If your starter had a short, it might've blown your main fuse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, jump start wouldn't get it going either. A friend suggested the starter solenoid as well and said the key fob could just be coincidental.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have you tried completely disconnecting the battery for a couple a minutes...then hooking it back up?? Maybe some of all that crap on it needs to "reset".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hopefully too new of a Jeep for what happened to my 2000 TJ last Xmas. Drove to Walmart to pick up a couple things. Came out same thing turned key and nothing. Had to replace the steering column as the electronics in it shorted out. Cost me $900 for a salvage one. Good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you tried kicking the driver side door?

I'm not saying it will help, I'm just wondering if you have tried it. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
If still the original battery, I am betting that is the problem. Even with a jump might not be enough to turn over because of the pcm not having enough juice. Try a new battery.

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
Just goes to prove.....Jeeps don't like mall's! :D Hope ya get it figured out. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't recommend tapping on the starter, Its a permanent magnet starter, meaning no field coils. It uses magnets and thay don't like to be hammered on. Just take a test light and see if you have power to the S terminal (small wire) on the sol. If it has power and doesn't crank check to see if there is power going into the motor strap, (from sol. to motor) If you have no power there but do have power on S then its most likely brushes or open in the armature. If no power on S it could be a starter relay. Change it with another relay with the same part number in the relay box for testing purposes. It could be the Ign. switch. Check for power to the relay coil. Could also be the security system, not sure on a JK but on my TJ it will start then quit. Maybe on a JK thay don't crank?

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I will never say I have any mechanical knowledge but I know that my mom in laws liberty was doing the same, it was a crank case sensor. Again for all I know it is the same thing that has been said above.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hopefully too new of a Jeep for what happened to my 2000 TJ last Xmas. Drove to Walmart to pick up a couple things. Came out same thing turned key and nothing. Had to replace the steering column as the electronics in it shorted out. Cost me $900 for a salvage one. Good luck.
Not to hijack but that doesn't sound right. A new ignition switch is 75 bucks :eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm almost sure that the problem is hat you drove it to the mall... Once you fix it make sure to take it on a trail and it will forgive you... :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like the starter, have you tried using a code reader? Just go to auto-zone I think you can rent them from there for a bit should point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts