Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 TJ 4.0

Today I was replacing the oil pressure sensor as I have been getting low oil pressure readings when the engine is warm and at idle.

As I was reaching down into the engine bay I felt a hose give way and come loose. At the time I figured no big deal I'll re-attach it when I'm done.

Well, I finished and I have no idea where or what this hose connects to. I decided to zip tie it in place and try to start the jeep. I depressed the clutch, turned the key and the jeep lurched backwards...thankfully I had backed it in and it was in reverse otherwise I would have nailed my truck which was parked right in front of it. I quickly put it in neutral however it will not go into gear with the engine on. If I turn it off it will go into gear.

Did that hose that inadvertently came apart have something to do with the jeep not going into gear or is it something else? The hose is approximately 1/2" in diameter and has a black circular fitting on the end. In addition to the fitting on the end it looks like there is an attachment that looks like it would secure it to the firewall. No fluid drained from the hose. The entire hose looks dirty like the rest of the hoses except for the last 1/2" or so which looks clean. I tried to follow the line and it snakes back under the jeep and appears to go on top of the transfer case / under the shifter...it is difficult to see exactly where it originates.

Incidentally I had the tranny rebuilt and the clutch replaced approximately 300 miles ago and has been running fine until today.

I'm attaching a picture I took of the hose...you can see the new oil pressure sensor in the background just to give you an idea of where it is.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
That hose is your breather hose for your rear axle, I zipped tied mine as high as I could because you don't want water to get into it. Has nothing to do with your problem of shifting that I know of.

·
Registered
787 Posts
being that close to the engine compartment, I don't think its the breather tube for the rear axle. It could be the breather tube for the tranny or the T/C. I don't think it has anything to do with your tranny problem. It sounds like you have clutch problems. I would check the clutch master cylinder and make sure its full of fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts