Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so I will go to start my '01 Wrangler Sport and it won't crank over. It gives you that subtle ding noise like it is going to turn over then everything goes dead, lights, ignition, radio, etc. I had the battery tested at the local Napa and it is absolutely fine. I can jump the Jeep right away and it is only intermittently not starting. Has anyone with a similar TJ had an issue like this? I have narrowed down that the battery is fine, it's not the neutral kill switch (I have tried starting it in neutral with my foot on the brake) and it has been suggested to me that it could be something related to the shifting linkage. Anyone help or advice would be great. Also I am located in North County San Diego so if anyone can recommend a mechanic that is very familiar with a TJ around my year that would also be helpful.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've had it where my jeep would click when i turned the key... i just went and bought new connectors for the battery, never had the problem again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the same problem with my 01 wrangler sport. When i go to turn on jeep everything would dead. It turn out to be that the terminal wires that connets to the battery were loose. Take off the battery wires and Get a wire brush or a sand paper and scuff up the battery terminal and the terminal wires then put them back and make sure you tighten them good. I hope this can help u

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you hear the Fuel Pump prime when you turn the key to on? You may need a buddy/wife to do this. Put you ear up to the gas tank - have the other turn the key to on (not run). You should hear a high pitch noise.

I am not certain how to check for Codes on an '01 - but is your Check Engine Light on?

...but hopefully it is just the battery terminals :)

Let us know pal...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will clean up the battery terminals and then keep an eye on it from there. I have not checked to see if the fuel pump comes on or not. I have no check engine light on and it hasn't once come on since this problem started occuring. Thank for the input guys I will try all these recommendations. Any further help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
when everything goes dead like that when you try to crank it,it is usually either a bad battery cable connection or a bad battery cable or end

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
If it was a bad fuel pump, engine would still crank but not fire.

Also think back to a month ago to any changes you made to your Jeep..did you mess with or add any wiring (CB, amps, lights, etc) or did you mess with any fuses, or anything under the dash My point is simply that sometimes our projects impact something unintended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts