Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 94 4.0 yj. The Jeep runs great, when it starts. It has just started occasionally not doing anything when you turn the key. It's dead to the world then all of the sudden the next time i turn the key it starts right up. Before i start spending lots of money on parts i don't need i figured maybe this has happened before and someone could point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd start pecking around the starter and ignition, wires, obvious stuff first.. It may sound odd but try banging *softly* on the starter with something, could but that it gets locked up some times due to water, mud...whatever. Had an old tractor that I had to do that to.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when it's not starting? Turn the key to the "on" position. If the light isn't on, you need brain surgery on your computer. Letting the jeep sit in the on position until the light comes on will work also, but sometimes the light never comes on. What's happening is the three capacitors in the computer are shot and not charging up. So leaving it on will charge them up and eventually start the jeep. Unless they are pooched completely. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing during the times it doesn't start their are no lights on the dash, like it's totally dead.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Check your power input and output at the ignition switch under the column. Mine did nothing when I turned the key one day. Turns out a wire from the starter relay to the switch, that goes through the bulkhead connector under the hood, had no power. Was a bad connection in the connector. Easy fix. In your case, if you have power in, and no ignition or acc when you turn the key, your switch is toast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like a wiring Gremlin, a bad ground, or a starter issue. Crawl underneath and make sure wires are attached and tight where they are supposed to be, and you don't have any corrosion issues or bare wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine did this yesterday. 93, standard, 4.0. We towed about 10-20 foot and I turned the key on to steer it and all the lights came on and then started. All the time I had headlights and dome light. It was in neutral.
Did you find a fix?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts