Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 jeep wrangler when I try to crank it with out having it jumped it turns a bit then just clicks a lot. When I have it jumped it will turn over if I give it gas it will stay on but as soon as I stop it won't idle it just cuts off. It was working perfectly before today. What should I do.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Start with the basics. Pull the battery terminal ends, and clean them and the terminals till they shine. All it takes is a poor connection to give you what you got.

And the newer alternators are not designed like the old ones. They will not keep the engine running if there is no battery voltage. Don't try the old trick of jumping one and then pulling the battery cables off to check. New alternators have to see battery voltage to operate, if not they can go full output and fry all kinds of things, like your PCM.

Cables good and clean? Try to charge the battery, and then tool on down to AutoZone/Advance/PepBoys and have em run a check. It's free, and will check the battery, starter, and alternator to let you know if you have additional problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts