Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Jeep Wont Start (Push Button Start)

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Nica_Dom 
#1 ·
Good Day to you all,

im stumped! went for an extremely long days driving the other day, and upon returning home and putting the top back on, went to sleep.

Waking up the next morning to go to work and the push button start on my 2.5l 94YJ didnt do ANYTHING...

So i turn the ignition on, all light come up fine, light turn on, so does the radio, but when i press the button all i hear is a very faint click around the relay area but nothing else at all...

Never incountered this type of issue before and luckely the car is at home, but i live in the sticks in Nicaragua with no mechanic for 15miles, so i was hoping you guys could help me figure out what i need to do... and i am not mechanically inclined but neither am i retarded, i can follow instruction.

Thank you in advance for helping get back on the road, hope your all having a great day!

#3 ·
yeah i dont have the key ignition connected the car starts with a push button inside the center lock console...

I have an on/off switch which works fine but when you push the button all you hear is a little click around the starter relay in the fuse box but nothing else

#4 ·
Sounds like a near dead battery. Easiest test is to turn on a light and try to start it. If the light dims and goes out you have a low battery. It could be a bad cell or even a bad connection to the battery. Check the battery terminals for corrosion, check the battery with a meter if you have one. It should read 13.5 volts or close to it. Charge the battery if you find it low. If it won't take a charge replace it.

#5 ·
ok i will check those things, the battery leads all look clean and corrosion free, is it weird that the button doesnt even do anything at all? I mean apart from the small noise from the relay area.

I dont have a meter but will try what you suggested and maybe even try and charge the battery as i dont have a meter.

Could it have something to do with the starter or relays? All the fuses are good and i really need to get back on the road soon, just sucks i dont have a mechanic within miles and miles

#9 ·
Try turning on the headlights. Do they look bright? The battery terminals can look okay and still be making poor contact. You can try loosening them a little, moving them back and forth and re-tightening them.

It will be hard to diagnose without a meter but starting begins with a good battery. If that's good then wires to the solenoid, the solenoid and then the starter. Then the control wires to the solenoid and the fuses, connections and switches.

Note that your alternator may not be charging the battery so even if you find the battery low it may be fine it's the charging circuit that needs fixing. The battery should be seeing 14 or more volts once the engine is running if it is being charged. It should be at 14.5 volts fully charged with the engine running.

Hopefully your charger has a meter on it that may be of some help. Tell us what it says when you hook it up before you turn it on and then what it says after you turn it on.

If you charge it and it then it starts it may be your alternator, which means you may get going but with a bad charging circuit you will drain the battery once more and you may stall out while driving if the battery gets low enough.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Have you tried to jump it when it won't start? If you can jump start it I'd say have your battery and charging system checked. If jumping does no good then I'd suspect starter may have a dead spot on the armature, you could try taping the starter with a hammer when it won't start and see if that helps, if so replace starter. If I were going to guess your problem based on your description I'd say it's the starter, but just guessing.

#13 ·
Pritty much was the problem... the ground had just loosened so i took it off cleaned it and put it back on and everything was fine.

Only now im having a problem with on the the upgrade filter i put on after taking the original airbox off, im gonna take pics and put them up in a new thread to see if anyone can help me there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.